cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

Pre infinity install - previous damage to internal BT wiring - question

I had an extension built 2 years ago which meant moving the BT box upstairs. We did this ourselves but the cable was damaged and subsequently jointed about 2m from the site of the box. Phone has worked fine since as has the sky broadband. Is this going to cause me some trouble when I change to infinity? Do I need to get a new connection from the pole etc? As you can tell I'm a technophobe! Advice appreciated...
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Pre infinity install - previous damage to internal BT wiring - question

Are you able to get infinity 2 which is an engineer install whereas infinity 1 is now self install in most cases

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Yes it's going to be infinity2. My concern is whether the previous damage will cause me any problems?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

@Payne_unlimited wrote:
My concern is whether the previous damage will cause me any problems?

Might do if the engineer realises the cable was a DIY job as that's not allowed. I'd just let him get on with it and act dumb if questions about the cable arise. You might still be charged for putting it right even if you deny all knowledge.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 8

I think the installer is unlikely to notice unless you draw it to his attention.  The only downside is that if any joints have not been very cleanly made, or if you used poor quality cable for the patch, then you may get slightly slower Infinity connection, or even an unreliable connection.  It will probably be absolutely fine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 8

Thanks both.

Does the installer test at the pole and then at the socket to see for drop off? If he sees a major drop off he may decide to enter the house at a new point? I will be playing dumb and saying the socket has been there since we moved in. He won't know any different.
Fingers crossed I get a good connection !
2 weeks to go...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

He will just test at socket and as long within estimate that is ok

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

At one time you could within reason get the master socket moved as part of the Infinity install. If that still applies and it's feasible, perhaps you could point out "this old repair which I know nothing about" and ask the engineer to attach the socket to the incoming side of the repair.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.