Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 26

Re: Pretty poor broadband speeds compared to my old talktalk

Go to solution

the test socket has improved your connection suggesting problems with your internal wiring.  is the orange bellwire connected to terminal 3 on the front plate?  if so it should be removed and from all extension sockets as it is known to cause noise problems on your line http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/index.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Yellsie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 26

Go to solution
Thanks. I have disconnected it from my master socket. When i opened up the master front i had the following wires -

all green going into 2, orange in 3 (now taken out) blue and white in both 4 and green and white in 5.

We have numerous extensions in the house, all here before we bought it 7 yrs ago. Should I remove all orange wires then?

Thanks again.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 26

Go to solution

the standard connection are only on terminals 2 & 5 in master and extensions

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Yellsie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 26

Go to solution
ah ok, should i remove the wire in 4 and see what happens to the other extensions? Can it also be moved to 2 or 5 as well?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 26

Go to solution

only 2 & 5 are normally live and in use and all extension sockets should be wired to terminals 2 & 5 - I would remove 4 as well as 3.  if it does cause a problem which I doubt it can always be replaced

0 Ratings
Yellsie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 26

Go to solution
In our house the master socket is in a row of 3, 1 either side of the master (these 2 don't seem to be doing anything, not live...)

If this is an internal wiring issue would i be allowed to re-wire myself, or would I need to pay BT to come and do it?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 26

Go to solution

you can wire your extension sockets yourself as long as you don't disturb the incoming connections at the back plate of the master socket.  that is the whole idea of the NTE5 with extensions connected to detachable front plate

0 Ratings
Yellsie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 26

Go to solution

Good Morning all..

Well, I have left the HH3 in the test socket overnight, and have just run the speed test and router connection settings are below. Makes interesting reading....In 13 hrs only 5 errors, compared with that huge number from the extension socket. I have taken the orange wire out of all the extensions and will re-test back in my extension later today....

Test1 comprises of two tests
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 15675 Kbps

0 Kbps21000 Kbps Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 15675 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :19715 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1183 Kbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 17393 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 864 Kbps

0 Kbps1183 Kbps Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 864 Kbps Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1183 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time. It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly. If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 13:29:16
Downstream:19.25 Mbps
Upstream:1.157 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.3 dB / 6.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):8.9 dB / 4.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.4 dBm / 12.0 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):1255 / 158
CRC Events (Down/Up):2 / 32
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):23 / 10
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):5 / 0
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 26

Go to solution

you might find a drop in your connection when you move back to an extension socket but nowhere near as bad as it used to be - stats after move would be good for comparison

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 26

Go to solution
Hi that is looking excellent it looks like the fault are within your internal wiring just a matter of checking and tidying it all up