Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GavSmurf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Princes Risborough - Fault no feedback

Go to solution

Reported a fault on my phone/ADSL almost a week later with no feedback on the progress.

Is there any more luck on these forums?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Princes Risborough - Fault no feedback

Go to solution

Welcome to this customer to customer forum.

Is the phone still not working, and was is it a phone fault or broadband fault that you reported, as that can make a difference?

Have you checked on the BT Fault tracking page?

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=2&s_cid=con_FURL_faults

Whad date and time did you report the fault?

0 Ratings
GavSmurf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

Both, reported the fault on the 6th.

The phone and ADSL line went down on the 5th.

Fault tracking states in progress and hasn't changed.

Reference: VOL053-*********

0 Ratings
GavSmurf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

Phone line is now online. ADSL still down.

Still no feedback or progress whatsoever.......

Only reason I know the phone was working was my daily reset router, check phone ritual.

Not happy with this level of service!!!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Some progress at last I see.

Two things to check.

Make sure your phone number is correct, dial 1470 17070 and confirm that the number that is read back to you, matches your number.

Is there any noise on the line, you can select option 2 from the menu after you number has been read out, see if there is any noise between the announcements.

The lack of phone line and broadband, can be caused by faulty broadband equipment in the exchange.

What sometimes happens is that the faulty equipment is bypassed first, so phone service is restored. Then replacement broadband equipment is commissioned, and each circuit is then re-jumpered back through the new equipment.

This can happen on the broadband DSLAM, as a card failure can affect multiple users.

The Service Level is not guaranteed for residential lines. Even for business lines, unless they pay a lot of extra money, uninterrupted service is not included.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

I notice that there is some planned work affecting your exchange (01844 code) on 16/01/2017. Its possible it may be associated with faulty equipment.

https://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/maintenance-outage-details.aspx?reference=319646

0 Ratings
GavSmurf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Thank you for the feedback, this is the kind of thing that I would have like to have known prior to coming on to the forums.

While I understand there is no SLA for residential I still think that BT should send some sort of notification to it's customers. 

So this may or may not be related to the planned work but this is still heresay.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

As I am just a customer, and a BT Pensioner, I can only suggest what might have happened, based on my past experience with the broadband DSLAMs in the exchange.

They are quite complex, with a couple of large circuit cards, one for the filters and one for the actual broadband ports.

If there has been a major failure that cannot be fixed by changing cards, then its going to be a nightmare job Smiley Sad

As the priority is restoring the phone lines, this would have been done first.

If it had been an external line fault, then both phone and broadband would have come back at the same time.

The planned work by BT Wholesale, may indicate the problem is more complex.

Some of the exchanges that have been upgraded to the new 21cn network, have MSANs (Multi Service Access Nodes) for broadband access, so it could be one of those nodes that are down.

0 Ratings
GavSmurf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Can you suggest how I get the exact information?

Is there a way?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

@GavSmurf wrote:

Can you suggest how I get the exact information?

Is there a way?

I am afraid not. BT Retail rely on updates from their suppliers, like Openreach and BT Wholesale.

I will ask one of the moderators to see if they can get more information.

0 Ratings