cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alarmman
Message 1 of 11

Printer connection to hub

Can I connect my printer to the home hub so I can send documents from my laptop to the printer, if so how?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Billy
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Printer connection to hub

I was also wondering about this and found the following

1) Connect your printer to the USB port on the BT Home Hub

2) Start the Add New Printer Wizard

3) Select to Add a local printer and make sure that the automatically detect option is unticked

4) Click Next

5) Select create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP port from the list

6) Click Next

7) Click Next

😎 Enter 192.168.1.253 in the printer name field and the port name will automatically be completed

9) Click Next

10) Select Custom and click the settings button

11) Select LPR

12) Select LPR Byte Counting Enabled

13) Enter the Queue Name as LPT1

14) Click OK

15) Click Next

16) Click Finish

17) Either select your printer from the list or insert the printer driver CD and click have disk

18) Click Next

19) Enter your printer name and select if you want it to be your default printer

20) Click Next

21) Select if you want to share your printer

22) Click Next

23) Print a Test Page

24) Click Next

That's it, you should now be able to print to a USB printer connected to your BT Home Hub.

These are instructions for XP and I have not tried it yet and the site I got it from did say it was a hit or a miss and works great for some but not others for some reason but I hope it helps.

If you have a different OS post here and I will get the instructions for you

Kev
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Hi, just set up my laptop with windows 7, & it wortk just great Smiley Happy Thanks for your post.

GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

One question about this.  I thought the IP address 192.168.1.253 was reserved for the BT web phones?  Using it shouldn't matter if you don't have the phones, but you might run into IP conflicts if you do.

Hmm, on looking around, perhaps I'm out of date!

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Billy
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

The site I took it from did say it was a hit or a miss and wonder if they failed to spot the connection between web phone users and non web phone users. They said the only problem was with printers that require bi-directional communication for status, ink levels ect but no mention of conflicting IP addresses. I don't have web phone otherwise I would try it out to see if there was any problems, perhaps someone else on here has tried it?
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

@Billy - As I said at the end of my post, I may well be wrong.  Something is nagging at the old grey matter from a while ago - I'll do some more digging!

Peggypureycust
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

192.168.1.253 was used for the USB on V1.0 and V1.5.   On V2.0 hubs the USB is variously connected to other addresses depending on type and firmware.

2-way printer attachment has never been achieved on any Home Hub. Unless you want to walk to the printer and purge every job, ferrrrget it!

Funny though, since I have been using a female forum name, nobody takes a blind bit of notice of my advice.

GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

Hi PeggyPC,

I know you are right about this.

In the ongoing spirit of PC and in appreciation of your gender reassignment  (if your eyes aren't watering too much) I wonder if you can remember what IP address the Thompson phone was given routinely?

That's what has been bugging me since I first saw the comment on the thread.

Peggypureycust
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

I only ever used hub phones, but as far as I remember the fusion phiones were assigned the 172. range

Extract from V1.0 firmware reads

pool config name=Fusion_Handsets intf=LocalNetwork poolstart=172.16.1.1 poolend=172.16.1.253 netmask=24 gateway=172.16.1.254 server=192.168.1.254 leasetime=86400
pool ruleadd name=Fusion_Handsets rulename=VendorCIFusion
pool ruleadd name=Fusion_Handsets key=or rulename=VendorCIFusion2

j;0)

Redflake
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

Does anyone know of a cheap wireless print server that would connect to a usb printer and work with the Hub V2. My Hub is down stairs as to connect it upstairs would mean putting it at the end of a cheap telephone extension. Main PC and printers are upstairs.

Cheers.

0 Ratings