Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Andreww100
Beginner
Message 1 of 42

Problem connecting iPad and iPhone to BT Home Hub 3 with WPA/WPA2 enabled

Hi all I have just received a Home Hub 3 (to replace my broken HH2), but am having problems connecting via wifi from my iOS 5 devices (iPhones 4, 4s and IPad 2). Now, 1. I can connect via my PC to broadband via the wired connection - all works fine 2. I can connect my wireless HP printer (802.11g) via wifi (prints fine wirelessly) 3. I have kept the out of the box config - no change to SSID, security or wireless password settings. If I switch OFF security (none, no WPA/WPA2), then I can connect my iOS devices and browse the Internet with no problems. Any ideas? I want to switch security back on! Thanks Andrew
Tags (3)
41 REPLIES 41
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 42

Re: Problem connecting iPad and iPhone to BT Home Hub 3 with WPA/WPA2 enabled

Hi delete all old wireless data from the devices then start again with the new wireless data
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 42

try changing the wireless in the hub from default b/g/n to just b/g.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Andreww100
Beginner
Message 4 of 42

Hi

I have tried WEP again, and that does seem to work. (there was no need to reboot either the iOS devices or the HH)

So is there a WPA/WPA2 problem with the iPad and iPhone devices?

Thanks
Andrew
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 42

Not that I know of I use WPA here with the same devices as you with no problems that is why I suggested clearing out all wireless settings and stating from the beginning
0 Ratings
iantan
Beginner
Message 6 of 42

This might not be applicable but it may give you a clue as to what to check.

1, i just received a new HH3 today and I logged on straight away with my ipad on the default settings.

2, I changed the network name to one i used previously on my HH2 and that was where my problems started. I went back to my ipad and tried to log on to the new network but it wouldn't. A bit of head scartching and i realised that BT wanted me to increase my security on my HH3 so I had changed the password. My ipad however was just seeing the network and trying to connect with the old password rather than asking for the the new passwod.

3, I told the ipad to forget the network, reconnected and everything is now fine.

If your ipad/iphone isn't asking for the key it obviously recognises the network and is trying to connect with an old key, which is probably why you can connect with no security.

Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 42

@ian tan that is the answer forget network and start again
0 Ratings
deejays
Beginner
Message 8 of 42

I have similar issue with ipad2 both ios4 & ios5, wireless connection to hub3 drops out repeatedly. Have tried forget network and start again, and problem persists.

0 Ratings
TheAAMan
Message 9 of 42

Hi deejays

I'm not sure whether you managed to fix your problem but I have been experiencing the same issues over the past week and changing the security etc didn't work for me.

I found the fix for me was to delete the connections from my iPad as previously mentioned and then go into the Wireless settings via the HomeHub page and Advanced and change the physical SSID name.  Once this had been changed and accepted I reconnected my iPad and found I had the normal WiFi download speed.  I'm not sure how long this will last as I only made the change today but so far it's been good (I was previously trying to watch Endeavour via ITV Player and the connection just kept dropping but this afternoon I watched the program without any hitches).

HTH.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 42

I have had this problem connecting iPad, iPhones and Blackberry to a BT HH3 installed as a replacement for an earlier generation hub.

All the other devices in the home connected by ethernet operated correctly.

Macbook and iMacs connected without problem using the wireless key.

Drove me nuts ... Apple recommend resetting wireless settings in the devices

Reset network settings

To reset your network settings, tap Settings > General, then tap Reset > Reset Network Settings.

When the device restarts, try to locate and join the Wi-Fi network again.

Settings icon

Note: This will clear your current network settings, including saved networks, Wi-Fi passwords, and VPN settings.
Didn't work.
In the end I switched off the wireless security in the Home Hub Manager
Wireless Configuration
Wireless network/SSID:BTHub3-G723
Security:
  WPA & WPA2 (Recommended)

WPA2 only is not selected, click to select it  WPA2 only

WPA only is not selected, click to select it  WPA only

WEP (64/40 bits)

Encryption is selected, click to disable it  None
 Select none and apply.
I then connected all the devices to the hub. 
The reapplied the security.
Then reconnected the devices, selecting the network and entering the wireless key. They all connected this time.
Yeh! Smiley Happy
0 Ratings