Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RTL
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Problem creating new BT ID.

Go to solution

Got an email to say that I was now on BT Mail. Went in to MY BT using the current username and password. It presented me with a screen to create a new BT ID for all my services etc. MY BT ID at the moment is not an email address. I entered my preferred email and continued. There were two boxes, one for My BT and the other for BT Mail. I then entered  my password for BT Mail  and clicked on Verify.  That was fine and I see "Your email address has now been moved to BT Mail and linked to your BT ID.Email address successfully linked: xxxxxx@btinternet.com".

The "My BT" box is currently showing:- "We've linked your My BT profile to your new BT ID. We now need you to confirm if you are the account holder so that we can make sure that you get access to all your services."  It now has My BT username as my email address.  When I enter My BT password though I get "Incorrect password. Please try again."  Tried it even using the password for my email address---same result.  So I clicked on forgotten password? and it asks me a security question. I put the answer in and it says it is wrong. If I check my profile--IT IS CORRECT!! Tried changing the security question in my profile and when I try the same procedure again--it is still asking me the original security question!!  My profile shows the new question and I can't revert to the previous one---not on drop down menu.

Any advice? Currently I can log in to both My BT and BT Mail using the current userids/passwords.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
RTL
Contributor
Message 2 of 24

Re: Problem creating new BT ID.

Go to solution

SOLVED!!! 

Ended up phoning 0800100400.  The problem was as I expected---my current "My BT" ID  not being an email address. I had to sign up for one as if I was a new Customer. It made no reference to this previously and implied that it was going to convert from a non-email ID. Now have a new ID but wasted a lot of time on trying to create my new BT ID which according to the BT web pages-"will be a simple three step procedure". !!!!!!

0 Ratings
billwin99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

And I have exactly the same problem. Two days spent on the phone to India and now referred to 'higher experts'. Expecting call back tomorrow. I'll refer them to this.  I did try registering as a new account but the system kicked me out saying my email/user name was already existing in another profile. Maybe I have to go in with a gmail address until I can get the bt address  and user name corrected?

0 Ratings
Nightowl12
Beginner
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

I have had exactly this problem - someone was to phone me this evening but partway into the call I was cut off and when I called the number back told that some one had tried to call but had got no answer and somneone would call back - noone has and it has not been resolved.  I tried to get onto the live chat but after nearly 40 mins wait told no help available submission terminated.  I am getting desperate to get this sorted

What is happening to BT  worst service I have ever had maybe I should transfer to Virgin

0 Ratings
RTL
Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

Billwin99/Nightowl12    Yes sorry about that. I forgot to mention I had to use a different email address. Fortunately, I already have 5 BT email addresses that I use for various sites. I used one of them.  I wouldn't use a gmail address as that might not be allowed. Since you haven't created your new BT ID and hopefully the time for doing that has not expired ( I think it mentioned I had 12 days or so to complete the process), then I would select Skip for now at the bottom left and go into your account as normal. There you could create another email address that you can use for creating your new BT ID. You don't have to use it for anything else and it will be linked to your existing one in BT Mail. You should find how to create another email address in the Help pages---wasn't difficult as I recall.

0 Ratings
billwin99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks, RTL

I've now created additional email addresses for myself on btinternet.com. I noticed that as I created them they were automatically tied to my BT.com ID but my original address was not (although it does give an option to attach it).

I also created a 'friend's' email address which is left unattached to any BT.com ID just in case this was required.  

Before I start to try to go through the ID merge process yet again have you any comment on which address to use?

0 Ratings
billwin99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution
ps, the higher order experts did not call me as they had promised!
0 Ratings
RTL
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

Billwin99 It doesn't really matter which of the new ones you use to create the ID but bear in mind that BT will close an email account, like any other ISP will do, if there is no activity on it ---I can't remember the time frame though.  As I said I have 5 email addresses. One I use for normal mail to friends etc. The second one I only use when I purchase something online. The third and fourth are for specific web sites and the fifth one is the one I use if some site insists on an email address or if I think it might be dodgy giving them my main one. If for instance I get bombarded with spam or junk mail on that address as a result, then I would just zap it and create a new fifth one if you see what I mean. I must admit that since I originally set this up I haven't had to do that. I used my "purchasing" email address, number 2, to create my ID.  I use it regularly so it shouldn't be closed through inactivity!!

You should link all your email addresses. Previously when it was BT Yahoo Mail I had to login to each account separately. Now when I login to MY BT and select BT Mail, there is a "drop-down box" listing all my accounts and I can easily switch between them. Hope that helps.

0 Ratings
RTL
Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

Billwin99. Found this in the Help pages:-

If we've suspended your email address because it hasn't been used

If you're using an email addresses that is linked to a BT broadband service, it will remain working as long as you continue to log in and use it. If you don't use your email address for a period of 90 days, we'll suspend it without notice.

For 60 days after we've suspended your email address, you can still reactivate your account.

0 Ratings
RTL
Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

Billwin99.     One other thing I just remembered. Can't remember the actual point in the process but at one stage it said that they would send me a PIN number to enter to ensure I was the Account Holder. Everything seemed fine to me as I could access MY BT fine, billing etc. etc. Anyway a few days later a letter arrived with the PIN and instructions on how to enter it. Followed that and it was happy. Whether it does something at their end I don't know as everything seemed fine to me. Anyway just comply with their letter and enter it.

0 Ratings