Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 21 of 35

Re: Problem reaching Google?

Go to solution

OK, SOME progress. After bypassing regular customer service rep, I spoke to a manager (engineer) who is happy for me to paste his name (Avhisek) who said that while he doesn't see why or how BT would have suddenly blocked access to Google sites, nevertheless something was amiss. I directed him to here and the 3 other corresponding topics and he's read through enough to open a case.

Aside from that he asked me to try a few other things such as altering network predictability within Chrome and Opera, which still didn't work. He also forced a firmware update through to my router, again no joy.

He genuinely seemed stumped but saw enough to see that while it isn't affecting everyone, there was some kind of error. Sadly engineering support aren't availavle and he wanted to get back to me on Sunday but it's my birthday so he gave me a reference number and an assurance that he will call back Monday between 9 and 11.

In the meantime he said to monitor the problem as it could go away as quickly as it arrived and if anyone else facing this issue could log a complaint/customer support heads up then it will escalate the case further up the chain.

He said, and I agreed, that a few dozen doesn't constitute a majority issue and that it could be a temporary setback which will iron itself out but it definitely shouldn't be blocking access to any of Google's services.

We swapped details, I asked for his name and we left it there. To BT's credit I've always received my callbacks so I hope to garner more info on Monday. I'll be on and off here, in case people are more successful so I'll update Monday if not before.

Good luck, all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 22 of 35

Go to solution

For what it's worth, it's not a Homehub issue as I don't use one.

Some kind of routing screw up is my bet, coupled with some sort of (broken) hijacking for "quality of service" purposes, while all I really want is straight un-messed-with Internet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 23 of 35

Go to solution

My probem is that my Chromecast is now saying it cannot conect to the internet. It connect to to the wifi OK, then puts up the cannot connect to the internet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 24 of 35

Go to solution
Chromecast has hard wired DNS apparently. It was the fact Chromecast wasn't working last night which alerted me to a wider problem.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 25 of 35

Go to solution

@Sourdiesel wrote:
Chromecast has hard wired DNS apparently. It was the fact Chromecast wasn't working last night which alerted me to a wider problem.

Same here. I wasted a lot of time last night identifying the issue and checking overall security.

My first thought was some spyware related issue Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 26 of 35

Go to solution

Same here. I reinstalled Windows yesterday, and it seems some Google services died before others.

My Sonos kit couldn't play certain Google Music tracks, I couldn't download and install Chrome or Google Drive, ... then later all Google services (except Gmail, oddly) broke for me.

Someone has screwed things up royally ...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 27 of 35

Go to solution

I'm having the same problem here. When I use Google DNS or Open DNS a lookup for www.google.com gives me addresses in the 31.55.184.x range that are OWNED BY BT and that I can't route to.

> www.google.com

Server: 8.8.8.8

Address: 8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: www.google.com

Address: 31.55.184.120

Address: 31.55.184.117

Address: 31.55.184.122

Address: 31.55.184.123

Address: 31.55.184.118

Address: 31.55.184.121

Address: 31.55.184.119

Address: 31.55.184.116

I find it hard to believe that Google and OpenDNS would return BT addresses for www.google.com. This seems to mean that my DNS request is being intercepted and the results altered. This looks

If I switch to BT's own DNS I get different results. BT's DNS servers reply with proper google owned IP addresses and if I switch to using BT DNS then everything works fine.

Needless to say I don't want to use BT DNS.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 35

Go to solution

Same issues here. started off using 8.8.8.8 and got no google services at all, tried openDNS still no joy

as last resort used bt default dns and google returned, but half of youtube videos still not working.

Raised a fault awaiting callback, also tweeting @btcare about issue along with several others.

Caerphilly exchange CF83 

and I now have no trust in BT. re-directing the biggest site in the world to your own broken ips? and borking all 3rd party DNS (some of which are hard coded into devices like chromecast) This will not do.

Will post any updates

Highlighted
Message 29 of 35

Go to solution
Also having the same issue with not being able to access google or most youtube videos , from what im aware of i use all the default DNS setting
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 30 of 35

Go to solution

Same issue here in Sonning, Berkshire.

Started yesterday or late the previous day and is not working correctly at all. 

Was using google DNS however have had to return to the slow, rubbish automatic BT DNS for the time being. Look forward to an update from BT Shortly.

0 Ratings