Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
comicaltone
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Problem with BT powerline Wi-Fi 600

Hi,

I have recently built a man cave in the bottom of my garden which is around 30m away from the house. I have power down there now which I had carried out by an electrician so has been done properly. I have bought the BT wifi extender as it uses the existing wiring to extend my Wi-Fi. I have had it for 2 weeks and in that time I have managed to connect my phone to the internet 3 times. The rest of the time my phone connects to the extender but without any internet. It appears to either work fine with speeds of 20mbps or no speed at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Antony

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Problem with BT powerline Wi-Fi 600

When the electrician was running the electrical cables you should have had him run Ethernet cable at the same time. It would have been far better than using Powerline adaptors.

As regards using powerline adaptors, was the the electrical cable run as a feed of an electrical socket (ie basically an extension lead) or part of the mains loop and is it going through a separate fuse/circuit breaker. Depending on how it was wired it can dramatically affect the performance of powerline adaptors which at best are second rate to Ethernet.

comicaltone
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Problem with BT powerline Wi-Fi 600

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and Ethernet is still an option as he had put it along the fence for now as I planned to bury it in the summer. Yes the feed is off a socket in the kitchen. They only thing that throws me is that it has worked a couple of times with very good speed.

Thanks again
0 Ratings