Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenkyle236
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 17

Problem with master socket

Go to solution
I was recently on the phone to a technical adviser, and I was told to open up the master socket to connect my broadband to the test socket, however there was no test socket. The advisor told me to put it back, and I carefully put it back, but then one of the connectors on terminal 5 fell off and now my connection is ruined! I don't know how to put it back and I've attempted to do a temporary solution.
The phone seems to crackle quite a lot and the broadband also cuts off if I move the socket.....
The wires looked very corroded and this was the first time I had opened up the master socket. Is there anyway I could get an engineer to replace the socket and how much would the charge be.
There is still the wire on terminal 2 that is still in place, just terminal 5 that has fallen off.

Thanks
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Problem with master socket

Go to solution
if you have no test socket and the phone line is noisy then you need to report it to BT Faults on 151 providing the noise is not caused by any internal wiring or equipment there should be no charge
kenkyle236
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply john,

There is nothing making the noise, is just that the wire in the master socket bcame loose (Terminal 5) here is a picture:

photo.JPG

Would this count as internal wiring?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

you should be able to push wire back into terminal 5 without need to engineer.  you need an IDC tool - just google

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
kenkyle236
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution
Ok thank you very much john 🙂 Will make sure I get one of these!
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Try stripping the insulation and use a pair of pliers, that's what some BT engineers do I believe.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
kenkyle236
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution
Which one is the insulator?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

think it was insulation - the plastic coating but normally you just push the wire in with plastic coating on with correct IDC tool and it will cut through plastic coating to make the connection.  is that not how the other wire is connected?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

@kenkyle236 wrote:
Which one is the insulator?

I said the inusalation, i.e. the PVC covering that insulates the wiring.  Stripping it and inserting the bared conductor with piers ensures a better connection.  Sometimes using the insertion tool does not always cause the PVC to be cut through and thi can also cause problems.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution
Never had any problem dfenceman but I use a proper IDC tool not one of the cheap pieces of plastic

0 Ratings