cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ostapm1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Problem with new contract

I don't know if this is the right place for this but here goes. On 25/11/17 I agreed a renewal deal for broadband & TV then a few days later got an email saying that prices were increasing and giving a link to a personalised offer. Following the link (hoping that it might be more advantageous) resulted in a message saying the offer could not be displayed as I had an order outstanding.

I phoned BT and rep said only way to see personalised offer was to cancel my outstandiing order which I agreed to. We still couldn't see the offer, this was late Friday afternoon, so she agreed to phone me first thing Monday morning. No call came so I phoned again and went through 5 different departments to eventually agreed a new deal. This was Monday 4 Dec at 4.30 pm. Rep said I would get a confirmation email within 24 to 48 hours which time has now elapsed.

On my original order I paid £208.80 line rental in advance which I asked to be refunded as I now wanted to pay monthly. He put through the refund and said it would take 5 working days to come through which will be 11/12/17.

I have no confidence now that my agreed deal will come through and I have another fear. My present contract ends on 12/12/17 and I am conncerned that my £208.80 refund won't come through in time and I will be locked in to a new full price contract as my account now indicates that I have, quote, "renewed my line rental saver".

I haven't the heart or energy to phone BT again to get this sorted and wonder if a moderator could help? The main thing I want is my £208.80 to be refunded. 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
NeilO
Message 2 of 15

Re: Problem with new contract

@ostapm1 We'll be happy to help of you send over your details. Please complete the 'click here to contact the mods' web form link in my forum profile, you'll find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

PaddyB
Message 3 of 15

Hi @ostapm1,

Thank you for taking my call this morning. I can confirm that I've arranged the refund back to your back account, this should arrive in the next 5 working days. I can also confirm that package details are showing as correct. 

Cheers

PaddyB

0 Ratings
ostapm1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Hello PaddyB

Thanks for arranging this!

I can finally see that my line rental renewal has gone from my account which indicates that the refund process has gone through.

Thanks also for confirming the new contract at the prices mentioned in our private conversation. They are not yet showing on my account but hopefully the next bill will reflect correctly. I'll let you know if not, thanks.

Just for our community's interest and amusement I feel the urge to write in detail about my experiences and some musings thereon which I'll do soon when the mood takes me.

Ostap 

0 Ratings
ostapm1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Hello Everybody

If you don’t like long reads - LOOK AWAY NOW!

Mods, I’m not asking for any assistance here, just making a contribution to the community. This post should be of interest to:

Those thinking of switching to BT broadband and TV.

BT customers seeking to negotiate a new contract.

BT officers wanting to improve their service.

I’ve been a BT customer on and off for 44 years but until a year ago had been 7 years with SKY broadband & TV on a minimum package (non fibre). Most of our TV viewing is on free terrestrial with “The Middle” being the only paid for programme that we couldn’t do without. It is available on BT on HD for only a few pounds more than we were paying SKY and certainly cheaper that HD SKY. And of course at the time there was free BT Sport and although we can live without that, it’s nice to have. The only doubt about moving to BT was the fear of something going wrong during the process of switching but in the event everything went smoothly and we never had to have any contact with BT during the switch (other than the online application). The contract was for Infinity 1, rental, weekend calls and Total Entertainment TV. We are generally happy with the service with two small complaints:

A couple of times every evening the screen goes blank for 1 or 2 seconds. I’ve looked into this and tried to resolve it but it is such a small thing that I am not motivated to complain to BT about it.

The cooling fan is slightly noisy but only comes on for a minute or so 3 or 4 times an evening. We chose the UHD 1Tb box but in retrospect should have gone for the 500Gb box with no cooling fan. We have a 40 inch TV and there is no difference on it between UHD and HD. On larger TVs you would see a difference.

So having successfully switched once and as my BT contract was about to end I looked around and saw that I could get an equivalent package from another company but with Anytime calls (including to mobiles) for £2 less per month and I would have new router and TV box - tempting!. But again I was fearful of the switch emphasised by strings of poor reviews on several forums about the competitor so I phoned BT and they offered me a renewal for only £3 more than present. Being reasonably happy with the service I accepted and the rep applied the order which appeared on my account.

A few days later I received an email from BT saying that as prices were about to rise we were free to leave but there was a personalised offer if I logged into my account. There wasn’t, only a message saying that the offers couldn’t be displayed because I had an order outstanding. Naturally I was curious to see if the offer was better than I had negotiated so I phoned and got through to K who was exceptionally friendly. She said she lived one stop up from me on our train line, certainly had the same accent as me. I was informed that the only way to see the offer was for her to cancel my previous order. Three times I said I wasn’t sure and did not want to lose the offer I had agreed. She assured me I wouldn’t and I authorised the cancellation. Something went wrong and we still couldn’t see the personalised offer but at the same time my previous agreement disappeared from my account. This was late on Friday, she was just about to finish and asked “what is the best time to phone you on Monday?” I said first thing and we joked that 8.00 am was too early for me and that 8.30 would let her get a coffee. She assured me that she would arrange an offer better than I had agreed previously.

So by 10.00 am on Monday no call had arrived. Before continuing I’ll pause here to say how BT could have improved.

Their software should have prevented the email message inviting me to view new offers as I had already signed a new contract.

Alternatively the personalised offers should have been displayed with a message saying, "As you have recently signed a new contract, to change again phone BT for further advice."

Obviously BT reps shouldn’t offer to phone a customer then fail to do so.

Heart sinking, I phoned BT, was transferred to accounts in Dundee for them to unlock my account to see the offers. They weren’t better so the Dundee rep transferred me to S who could only read out the offers again and was not able to reinstate the original offer far less negotiate a better one. So by now I wished I’d just gone for the competitor’s offer and asked her to cancel the Line Rental Saver which I had paid for on the first deal. She couldn’t see anything about LRS and prevaricated. My anger rising I insisted that she cancel it and she immediately replied that she had but I sensed she was lying.

Another pause here for lessons learned.

Once you have agreed a deal don’t cancel or change it (unless you enjoy chasing BT).

This is also true if you agree a deal with a competitor. If you subsequently cancel it there is a chance that something will go wrong (as a poster on here has found to his cost who is to be left without broadband and TV for 14 days).

Only deal with BT retentions dept otherwise known as cancellations. The ordinary depts are unlikely to be able to help.

So immediately I phoned BT retentions and explained story to A who was alert and able to agree a better deal. He put it through and said I would get a confirmation email within a couple of hours. He also said he had cancelled the Line Rental Saver which proved that S had been lying. No email came so later that afternoon I phoned again to get J in South Shields. He was also alert and explained that something had gone wrong with the cancellation and the application of the new deal and that my account had been sent to ‘data integrity’ to be sorted out and that I would hear within 24-48 hours.

I periodically checked my online BT account and didn’t see any change after 48 hours. Line Rental saver was still showing as having been paid in advance. By now I had found this community and posted to ask for help. PaddyB sorted it out today and Line Rental saver has gone from my account so now I am confident it has been refunded. Regarding the agreed deal this is not yet showing on my account but I have a feeling that the next bill will reflect correctly (bill is due on Monday).

I have already thanked PaddyB.

Ostap

ostapm1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Contract still not right

I posted for help on 6/12 and a mod replied on 9/12. All the details are on my previous post.  In summary I asked for my line rental saver to be refunded and to be reassured about the cost of a new deal that had been agreed but had not yet appeared on my account. Reassurance was given and I marked the post as solved.

However today on the billing overview page on my BT account there stands a figure which indicates that the line rental saver is going to be taken by direct debit on my next bill. Also, the itemised bill is not yet showing on my account so I don't know exactly what the figure includes but it does not look like it is what I agreed.

Could a mod please contact me again?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Re: Contract still not right

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

I have merged this with your original thread to maintain continuity.

If you have paid for the line rental saver, then the amount on your bill will include a credit for line rental each month, so you will not pay it twice.

0 Ratings
ostapm1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Thanks. I don't know exactly what is happening with my bill because it is not yet itemised but to simplify matters there were two issues.

1. Within the 14 day period I gave instructions to cancel my order for annual line rental saver and asked the amount to be paid back to my credit card. I now want to pay monthly rental. The credit card refund appears to have been processed however the annual line rental saver appears not to be cancelled but looks like it is to be taken by direct debit.

2. The amount shown on the bill summary page does not appear to reflect the deal that I have now agreed with three different people in BT.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 9 of 15

Hi @ostapm1,

Thank you for posting back. I'm taking a look at your account now and I'll give you a call in a few min.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
ostapm1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Hello again Patrick

Thank you for offering to phone me on Saturday tomorrow and I look forward to your call.

I've now got visibility of my itemised bill and there is good and bad within it. 

The good is that though it is not exactly what I agreed it is close enough to be acceptable. 

The bad is that there are two things which I don't understand.

The first being that there is no adjustment for line rental saver paid in advance. I would expect to see a -£18.99 credit for line rental saver paid in advance but it's not there. Please look into this before phoning. If you can clear this up I may be willing just to continue with my line rental saver and not request a refund.

The second bad point is illustrated in the screenshot below. You can see that whilst I have been granted a £4 per month discount for TV it appears on my bill as 13p. Could you also please clear this up thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 4.34.15 pm.png

0 Ratings