Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
screamingsilver
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Problems With My Phone Line Again - Please Help

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help?  We have been having issues with our phone line for quite few months now, its either noise on the line, no dial tone etc.

We have called 151 and no disrespect to the people that work in the call centres aboard, but we have no idea what is going on and it is difficult to explain the problem so they have no idea what the fault is.

Does anyone know a way we could speak to some in the UK to find out what is happening?

Thank you

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Problems With My Phone Line Again - Please Help

there is no number for a uk call centre

you can try this 

phone faults

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
screamingsilver
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

that makes me sad 😞 

Thank you for the asnwer as well...

0 Ratings
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Hi, we had rotten problems with our phone line a year ago, and BT and Openreach did sort it out in a reasonable time and permanently. The problem was the 50 year old 'drop cable' that brought the signal in to our property. It comprised of a rubber outer, two solid strands of copper wire, with cardboard insulation between them! Once the damp gets in it's game over basically. Openreach replaced that cable with an armoured cable, and all our problems ceased. This forum was a huge help to us getting that sorted out. I hope you get your problem resolved quickly, best regards.

0 Ratings
screamingsilver
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

I have a feeling that we will need the drop cable replaced.  Although where we live all the cables are under ground.  

Personally i think the problem is where the cable enters our property as when it rains it forms puddles and there is no run off, just soaks into the ground.

The 2nd time an engineer came he did enter the property and replaced the visable cable, which to his credit was not his job to do and the phone line was fine for a couple months.  Then a different issue of slow internet, this was solved but plugging directly into the master sockets, which has been fine for a couple of months, until the weekend where the line is noisey and the inter is so slow and drops out.

We hopefully should be getting a visit from BT, the website says it should be fixed by the 11th.  Although that is not a home visit just for them to check the outdoor cables.

So fingers crossed 😕  

0 Ratings
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

@screamingsilver, yes our 'drop cable' was underground, too - I was astonished when I saw what it was constructed from! Although the outer covering was fairly robust, once that was compromised then water ingress rendered the insulation useless.
0 Ratings