cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikey2000
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Problems accessing other devices on my home wifi network.

Periodically, our BT home hub seems to go wrong.  All our computers/ipads/phones etc can still connect to the internet properly but suddenly they are hidden from each other.  So, the PC can't see the wifi printer any more.  The ipad cannot transfer files to the 'sister' app on the iphone.   The ipad can't communicate with the PC anymore.  The PC can't share files (or even see) the laptop etc et etc

It's as if the hub decides to isolate all the devices from each other.

If I reboot the BT Hub, all is well and back to normal and all the inter-device wifi services are fine again for a day or two.

The hub 'homepage' says it is Firmware Version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.11 (Type A), last updated 13/01/13.  

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix?  I'm considering buying one of those mains timer plugs so I can reboot the hub in the middle of each night but this seems a little extreme!

Help please!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
DavidM
Message 2 of 4

Re: Problems accessing other devices on my home wifi network.

Hi mikey2000,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Take a look here for some help with wireless connection issues.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
mikey2000
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the link.  I've had a rummage through but nothing seems to address my issue.

For what it's worth, I now need to reboot my hub daily.   If I don't do this, the wifi printer becomes 'invisible' to all PCs on the wifi network.  Also, all the computers become invisible to each other so file sharing fails too.  If I power off then on with the home hub (leaving all the PCs and printer on) they all magically work again for another day or so.

Also, I have a USB drive attached to the BT Hub.  It is usually accessible via \\bthub3\usb but after the same period, it also becomes invisible to all the devices until the hub is rebooted.

At all times. the PCs can access the internet no problem.  It's as if the TCP/IP stuff is OK (PCs can always ping each other too) but the higher level 'application layer' stuff is being blocked by the hub until it is rebooted.

Do I need a new hub or is there something else I can try?

Cheers,

Michael

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

be careful of to many hub restarts as it can cause the exchange equipment to see your line as unstable and start reducing your connection speed
0 Ratings