cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jenger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Problems joining FON / Support for non-BT routers?

Hi guys,

So I have tried to register for BT FON, however I have been stalled by my Home Hub (a v1 running 6.1.1R) failing to upgrade to the necessary firmware to support this.

The home hub itself is pretty awful as a router goes - weak security, poor management options and delivers a slower connection than available with other kit - so I have reverted to my trusty Netgear DG834G. This is mostly good - its doubled my line speed to a corking 1.5 mb (don't get all jealous now!) and it allows me to have something approaching a secure setup. However it does lead to a couple of questions...

1. Does the v1 Home Hub even support FON?

2. Is there any FON support for non-BT routers? I'm really not impressed by the original home hub

3. Is the home hub v2 genuinely any better as a router, and if it is, given that I have been a BT Broadband customer since ADSL first arrived, is the a way I can get one without having to stump up £90 or whatever ludicrous sum it is today!! LOL

Many questions, hopefully I can help with some answers another time

Cheers,

--jenger

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Problems joining FON / Support for non-BT routers?

@jenger wrote:

So I have tried to register for BT FON, however I have been stalled by my Home Hub (a v1 running 6.1.1R) failing to upgrade to the necessary firmware to support this.

[...]

1. Does the v1 Home Hub even support FON?

In what respect ?  You can sign up to Fon, and use other peoples Fon hotspots regardless of the router that you yourself are using.

If you want to make your own wireless router available as a Fon hotspot, it'll need to either be upgraded to a later firmware version (or use a different router, eg a later HomeHub)

2. Is there any FON support for non-BT routers?

Pass.

I'm really not impressed by the original home hub

I've a V1 locked at 6.2.2.6 firmware, which I find rather good. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
miskmask
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

I still have my old v1 hub also, and it's part of the BT FON network listing my hub as a hotspot. It rarely gives me any problem, and since I have Norton 360 and an anti-malware program running, security is covered adequately by software on my laptop/PC. My hub is set for the highest encyrption that it's able to do.

I still have my old v1 hub also, and it's part of the BT FON network listing my hub as a hotspot. It rarely gives me any problem, and since I have Norton 360 and an anti-malware program running, security is covered adequately by software on my laptop/PC. My hub is set for the highest encyrption that it's able to do.

You might ring up BT FON and ask them if your router is compatible to their upgrades.

0 Ratings
jenger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

@miskmask - thanks for your reply, however as the netgear router gives me double the bandwidth (which is still only a pathetic 1.5 mbps, due to being in a so-called broadband "Not-Spot"), I've decided I won't go back to the home hub v1. FON is not enough of an attraction - I'll wait until Infinity arrives.

Maybe the v1 HH is slow slow because the firmware is so old, however as it seems the firmware can't be upgraded, it would appear to be a moot point anyway!

And as for calling BT... I've called the BT Indian Helldesk once already this decade and been appropriately punished by incompetent and patronising support, followed by repeated apology calls that achieve absolutely nothing. Of course the BT sales line - UK based - is rather better, funny that.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

@jenger wrote:

@miskmask - thanks for your reply, however as the netgear router gives me double the bandwidth (which is still only a pathetic 1.5 mbps, due to being in a so-called broadband "Not-Spot"), I've decided I won't go back to the home hub v1. FON is not enough of an attraction - I'll wait until Infinity arrives.

As I said before, you don't need to use a HomeHub to use Fon.

Maybe the v1 HH is slow slow because the firmware is so old, however as it seems the firmware can't be upgraded,

Ohhh yes it can !  

0 Ratings
jenger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

@IanC - apparently when you sign up for FON the firmware upgrade is supposed to take you to 6.2.6.H automatically. However, the automatic update didn't work, the factory reset didn't help and the "select an upgrade time" from the update manager web page made no difference either - the firmware remained un-updated.

Technically I could have tried the firmware recovery tool before I gave up, but as that would have meant either going out to buy a cable or unplugging and relocating the computer and moving rooms to get nearer the router to use the short bundled one, that might have worked, however time/hassle got the better of me due to only wanting WIFI for my phone (I have a 3G dongle for my work PC).

I subsequently plugged my old Netgear router back in, noted that with the Netgear I get far better bandwidth (pretty much double) and therefore gave up on the Home Hub as a router. My connection is also a lot more stable with the Netgear.

FWIW the only reason I connected up the home hub again in the first place was to join FON, and I could have sworn blind during the registration it said that I wouldn't be able to join any hotspots until my router was updated, but following your comments I have checked again and sure enough it is now saying that I can join FON hotspots, so maybe I was imagining things... Anyway, thanks for that 🙂

0 Ratings