Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alanrf
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Problems receiving emails

Go to solution

Suddenly, I cannot receive emails from a particular site.  Until the site migrated to a new server in the last week there was never a problem and emails from that source could always be delivered to any one of my BT addresses and to any one of my disposable addreses.

Now, I can still receive emails to my disposable addresses but not to my BT addresses.

The only diference as far as I can deduce is that mail to my BT address is direct to @btinternet.com, (naturally), whereas mail to my disposable addresses is directed to @yahoo.co.uk.

I can receive emails from the site on Hotmail (Outlook.com), Yahoo and Gmail addreses but not on a normal BT addfress.

The WebMaster has tried various strategies but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas??

Alan
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Problems receiving emails

Go to solution

The likely cause is Critical Path (CP) either marking these emails as spam or rejecting the emails for some other incorrect reason.

If you look at the headers of emails that you received in the past you should be able to see where CP servers got involved and you may be able to see what it marked the emails as previously.

I assume you are still on BT Yahoo mail so if you temporarily switch your Btinternet emails to use the Yahoo servers you are likely to still be able to get these emails and this would show that CP is to blame.

0 Ratings
Alanrf
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

All very interesting.   

As the emails never reach me the only way to try and deduce what is happening is for the WebMaster to search the trash file at his end.

There he found

"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

xxxx@btopenworld.com"

and

"Final-Recipient: rfc822;xxxx@btopenworld.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;522 IP REPUTATION BAD  (please check for IP address listing on reputation services)"

Using the CP reputation checker there is a message

"The IP has only recently started sending mails, and therefore still has an Unknown reputation"

At this point we are stuck.

Presumably the "REPUTATION BAD" message is the cause of non-delivery but how can that be resolved.

Technically, this all happened when the site was upgraded and moved to a new IP address.  Other than that, nothing has been changed.

Interestingly, checking the CP reputation checker for the 'old'IP address gives the message

"This IP address has not been used for sending Spam"

So, there must be a way to try and re-establish the reputation of the site - but how?

Alan
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Alanrf,

You indicated that you have received emails from the site previously.

If you look at the headers of these emails you should see the path through the CP servers. 

This path based on what you have said should not have change other than the initial IP address.

You can also look at the path through the Yahoo servers that work.

The problem you have to fix is not establishing the reputation of the new IP address but getting CP / BT not to  fail the emails incorrectly.

The best way to do this is to send headers direct to CP support in the UK showing how it worked in the past and is still working now for Yahoo.

You could also copy this to BT support and / or get the moderators here involved.

They should then be able to work out why they are going wrong in failing the emails in the way described above.

Pass this information on to the webmaster also as they should be chasing CP also as it is likely that other emails from their site are being rejected if sent to BT addresses.

CP have had several similar issues in the past.

0 Ratings
Alanrf
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

The WebMaster has been in contact with CP.

There was apparently a minor configuration issue which only became apparent after the migration to a new server.

Given that this configuration issue affected every email dispatched via other ISP's, (including those the the BT Yahoo! disposable addresses), and delivery was not affected, it is clear that email services, other than CP, were not applying such a rigid anti-spam criteria regime

The good news is, perhaps, that after the minor inconvenience has been resolved, users of BT/CP email services may somewhat reassured that the various anti-spam procedures are applied most effectively!

Alan
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@Alanrf wrote:

The good news is, perhaps, that after the minor inconvenience has been resolved, users of BT/CP email services may somewhat reassured that the various anti-spam procedures are applied most effectively!

Without knowing the exact details this appears to suggest that CP are still getting it wrong with their anti-spam procedures. 

They should not reject emails unless the recipient has given them authority to do so.

This is bad news.

0 Ratings
Alanrf
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

My understanding is that there were a considerable number of emails which never left the server, all of them being noted as "Bad reputation".

My further understanding is that the headers for the emails as generated by the emailer program contained two separate IP addresses, both of which were provided at the time of server migration within the lst couple of weeks, and presumably had not been used before.  One of those was the 'outward' facing IP address which is used to access the site proper, (and can be pinged, for example), and the other is in effect an internal address which cannot be accessed externally.

After checking both of those IP's one of them, the outward facing one, had been given a positive reputation whereas the other had been given a bad reputation on the basis that it had been sending spam.

The fact that no other reputation checker found any such evidence suggests that CP procedures are perhaps less resilient, or more over-zealous than others.

To illustrate, when the checks were carried out, before the WebMaster made contact with CP the following was obtained from the CP/BT checker:

IP Address: 63.xxx.215.yyy
Risk Level: High Risk
Description: This IP address is used for sending Spam on a regular basis

and

IP Address: 63.xxx.216.yyy
Risk Level: No Risk
Description: This IP address has not been used for sending Spam

Afterwards, when the issue was 'resolved', and emails were being dispatched, the following was obtained:

IP Address: 63.xxx.215.yyy

and

IP Address: 63.xxx.216.yyy

Make of that what you will !!

Alan
0 Ratings