cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geejay
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Problems sending emails via Outlook

About a week ago a contacted the help line regarding a problem sending e-mails via Outlook. Sent e-mails were taking up to 5 hours to go from the sent box to the recipient. After various tests, I was informed by the help desk that the problem was with my Outlook and not with BT and they could not support me with my problem. I spent 4 days with Microsoft and others trying to resolve what was perceived as an Outlook problem and finally concluded that Outlook was configured correctly and no issues were found. I went back to the BT Help desk and after spending 1 1/2 hours with numerous help technicians eventually spoke to someone who, after conducting various tests with my BT Yahoo account and my Outlook set-up, informed me that the problem was with the BT Yahoo servers and not with my Outlook. The problem relates to the migration of e-mails between BT and Yahoo in this changeover phase and that this was a known issue! I was advised that it should be fixed in a few days.

The problem still persists.  Does anyone have any idea when this known issue will be resolved and (unless I have missed something) why BT have not deemed it appropriate to advise their customers of this known issue?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Problems sending emails via Outlook

This problem has been going on for years. Do a search of the forum for all the various fixes and solutions to it. There does not appear to be a one fix fixes all.

Hopefully it will improve when BT migrate away from Yahoo later this year.

0 Ratings
geejay
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Thanks for the response and I'll have a trawl through the forum as you suggest. However since BT have advised that this is a problem with their server  that only arose a week or so ago it doesn't sound like an issue that has been around for years and I'm unlikely to find a fix for BT's problem server.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

I think you may find that answer from BT was to get you off the line and to go away.

duncan10
Expert
Message 5 of 17

You couldnt have said a truer word-GG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 17

@geejay wrote:

About a week ago a contacted the help line regarding a problem sending e-mails via Outlook. Sent e-mails were taking up to 5 hours to go from the sent box to the recipient. After various tests, I was informed by the help desk that the problem was with my Outlook and not with BT and they could not support me with my problem. I spent 4 days with Microsoft and others trying to resolve what was perceived as an Outlook problem and finally concluded that Outlook was configured correctly and no issues were found. I went back to the BT Help desk and after spending 1 1/2 hours with numerous help technicians eventually spoke to someone who, after conducting various tests with my BT Yahoo account and my Outlook set-up, informed me that the problem was with the BT Yahoo servers and not with my Outlook. The problem relates to the migration of e-mails between BT and Yahoo in this changeover phase and that this was a known issue! I was advised that it should be fixed in a few days.

The problem still persists.  Does anyone have any idea when this known issue will be resolved and (unless I have missed something) why BT have not deemed it appropriate to advise their customers of this known issue?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Can you say what error messages you are getting ?

There do seem to be a few posts since the beginning of October, which might relate to the fact that mail.btinternet.com now points at 65.20.0.43 - which is Critical Path. I don't know when the IP addresses were changed from the Yahoo! servers - but it's certainly likely to cause issues.

Please can the moderators check what's happening, and can you say when Critical Path IP addresses were changed from the Yahoo! IP addresses.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 7 of 17

@Andy_N wrote:

There do seem to be a few posts since the beginning og October, which might relate to the fact that mail.btinternet.com now points at 65.20.0.43 - which is Critical Path. I don't know when the IP addresses were changed from the Yahoo! servers - but it's certainly likely to cause issues.

30th September. Before that, the IP address for mail.btinternet.com was cycling between Yahoo and CP.

It shouldn't cause issues since it's part of the migration process, but Critical Path is blocked by peerblock.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 17

@Oliver341 wrote:

@Andy_N wrote:

There do seem to be a few posts since the beginning og October, which might relate to the fact that mail.btinternet.com now points at 65.20.0.43 - which is Critical Path. I don't know when the IP addresses were changed from the Yahoo! servers - but it's certainly likely to cause issues.

30th September. Before that, the IP address for mail.btinternet.com was cycling between Yahoo and CP.

It shouldn't cause issues since it's part of the migration process, but Critical Path is blocked by peerblock.

Hi.

I agree it shouldn't cause issues, but an IP change may affect some users' security systems.

0 Ratings
geejay
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Hi there,  Not getting any error messages. The problem in a nutshell is this:

If I send an email from outlook to, for example, myself, it goes into the sent mail but does not arrive in my BT Yahoo in box, and consequently my Outlook inbox, until some time later. And, what's really strange is that in almost all cases that I have checked, it takes precisely 4 hrs 35 mins to arrive!

0 Ratings
geejay
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

Just some additional info for you that might be relevant. I can pinpoint fairly accurately when the problem started since I was sending out a number of e-mails at the time and can identify which one was the first to be delayed. It was Saturday 28th September close to 12.00 mid-day.
0 Ratings