cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
strawberry
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Problems trying to arrange to move Openreach master socket in house.

Go to solution

Whether as assistant chief officer with the National Probation Service or as head of my own event management company, during the 46 years of my working life, I have always recognised the importance of ‘customer focus’. As a long-term customer of BT I have now come to the conclusion that this is not a principle the company either adheres to or indeed understands. I am arranging to have new floors laid and needed to move the BT broadband socket back to its original position, a distance of a few feet. This task is the responsibility of BT, regardless of provider. On the 23 August I decided to contact BT, via their online ‘live chat’ service to affect the move. It took me 7 mins to get a response and a further 17 mins of online ‘chat’, during which I was repeatedly asked the same questions, before BT abruptly terminated the exchange. Undeterred I telephoned BT and after 23 mins I was connected, only to discover that I needed to be transferred to another department. After a further 37 mins I discovered I needed to be transferred to yet another department. After a further 17 mins I was connected to that department, however 12 mins into the order process BT, once again, inexplicably terminated the call.

Undeterred, and refusing to be outmaneuvered I went back online to conduct another ‘live chat’. After a 16 min wait I was transferred to another department to place the order. I was promised the order would be placed, but that I needed to be transferred back to the original department. Arriving back at the original department and some 12 mins into the process BT once again terminated the call.

At this point I went for a lie down. I was interrupted however 30 mins later with a call from BT who wanted to arrange the date to move the socket back to its original position. After recovering from the shock, the date to carry out the work was set for the 12 September. Having once recovered I thought I would check with my BT online account to confirm that the order had been placed. Yes there it was! Unfortunately drilling down into the details I discovered that there was, in fact, a problem and the date could not be confirmed, but that someone would be in touch.

Not trusting BT to fulfill their promised I went back online for a ‘live chat’. It took a total of a further 35 mins to discover that their was an error in placing the order. As a result I was passed over to the ‘order department’ to sort things out. After a further 50 mins of attempts to sort the issue out, i.e. to arrange for a BT engineer to move a socket a few feet, I was told someone would call back by telephone. When I received the call, I received an apology for the error and a fresh date for the work was set for the 9 September, this took a further 17 mins.

By this time I excused myself for retaining an element of healthy skepticism and duly checked with my BT account online. The order was indeed there to be carried out on the 9 September but, you’ve guessed… there is a problem with the new date and someone will be in touch... BT has been the subject of a lot of negative press for poor customer service lately and after over four hours in direct contact with them in a single day, either by telephone or online ‘chat’, I for one can see why.

Will the work ever be carried out? Your guess is as good as mine.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Problems trying to arrange to move Openreach master socket in house.

Go to solution

You have said you are moving the "BT broadband socket back to its original position, a distance of a few feet". If that is the case who moved it in the first instance? 

If the cable to the socket is surface mounted, ie along the skirting. You could move the socket yourself without disconnecting it or arrange for a local contractor to move it for you. All you would need to do would be to remove the front cover of the socket and unscrew the two screws holding it to the wall. Move it back from whence it came and screw it back onto the wall.

It is perfectly legal to do that. The only problem would be if you caused a fault when moving it BT would charge you to repair it.

If you got a local contractor to do it for you I am pretty sure it would not cost anything like the £130 BT/Openreach will charge you and they will no doubt be able to do it on the date they say they will.

0 Ratings
strawberry
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Firstly BT moved the socket for me.

If I moved it back or got someone else to move it back it would need to be 're-wired', i.e. the cable shortened. As you rightly point out, if anything went wrong at any stage I would be held responsible not BT. I am not prepared for the sake of £130 to take that risk, nor should I be in my opinion.

Putting all that aside your response misses the central point, which is that I can't even get BT to do that work, i.e. due to a catalogue of errors on their part, resulting in me spending over four hours on the phone to no effect. #in my view that's the real issue, not suggestions as to how I might by-pass their incompetence.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I was not missing the "central point". You had made the point and I chose not to comment on it because basically no amount of commenting on it would be helping getting the socket moved which was all I was trying to help you achieve. 

I obviously misinterpreted your post and didn't realise that you were just wanting to rant about the customer services department.

If you are happy to pay £130 for a job that any competent electrician could do for a fraction of that cost then you will just need to endure the BT call centre until you get an engineer to visit, when ever that may be.

0 Ratings
strawberry
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I won't have to endure the call centre because I'm moving to Plusnet, they will arrange everything on my behalf. 

P.S. Illustrating BT's total incompetence does not amount to a "rant" as you call it, it is simply another way of letting BT know that something is seriously wrong with their service and I'm not the first to point this out on this forum. I have also written a formal complaint to BT and also a letter to the consumer services editor of the Guardian. Hopefully one day someone will realise that 'rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic' is no way to run such a large corporation.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Plusnet (A BT Group Company), still use Openreach (A BT Group Company)  to do any work on the network. They will still charge Plusnet to do the work, who in turn will pass the charge to you.

0 Ratings
strawberry
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Had you read my post correctly you would have noted I said 'arrange' not carry out the work! As I said in my original "rant" I know BT will have to carry out the work! The central point is that I won't have to spend another 4 hours+ dealing with their call centre in order to arrange for them do so, Plusnet will do this on my behalf. 

P.S. To whom it may concern: I no longer require any helpful comments as I consider the matter is now closed. If you are a BT customer, good luck!!

0 Ratings