Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Problems using SmartTalk on 3G

Hi

When I first installed BT SmartTalk, I had an issue with the 3G connection where if I dialled a number it would ring, but neither I nor the called party could actually hear each other on the call (I couldn't even hear the the ring sound on my end as the call was being made.)

After I installed the recent app update, I tried again and it worked!  Beautifully!  Just the once.  After that it didn't work again - even after uninstalling and reinstalling. (It is always possible the wi-fi may have been on inadvertently I suppose, so perhaps a false test.)

I have subsequently read that it may be because I'm on T-mobile/EE and a solution might be to use VPN.  I wanted to use a reputable well known free VPN app, so I have tried Tunnelbear.  However, when the VPN is running, BT SmartTalk just reports that that it can't verify me/problem with connection and doesn't work - so obviously not happy with the VPN.  Perhapos another VPN might work?  But I'm very wary of using just any old free VPN hosted by who knows who.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks very much.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 4

Re: Problems using SmartTalk on 3G

By the way, I am using Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 4.04 and I can't connect to the VPN mentioned in one of the other posts on similar issue (I tested this though it does fall in the group of free vpn I'm not sure about)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 4

I use smart talk on Orange. 3G often doesn't support the consistent speed required for a good quality call. Wifi is the most successful way of making call. There is a condition of EE service that calls made by this method are not permitted. Or become chargeable data. I have never been charged but have found even with a full signal and being very close to the cell tower the call is still poor.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Hi.  Thanks for the reply.

On my particular plan, there doesn't seem to be any restriction for these calls.

In terms of the 3G, I don't think that can be the problem as many people are using 3G without any problems and the 3G connection speeds when I have tried have been in excess of 3MB which should be plenty for a telephone call.  The fact that the phone rings on the other side, but that I can't even hear the ringtone on my side and that there is complete silence on the call seems to indicate there is something else going on.

Can any BT moderators confirm whether this is a widespread T-Mobile specific problem and if so, what the issue is?  Be keen to hear if anyone who has a monthly T-Mobile plan is able to make 3G calls.

0 Ratings