cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Problems with BT Infinity

If merely recounting the truth of your experience risks coming across as a rant, then the service you are getting from BT must be truly awful.

So rant away.

I will join you. My BT Infinity has been a joke since I signed up to it. And do I regret doing that...

I knew that calling it INFINITY was an act of gross hubris. My service has never been better than barely satisfactory for more than a few days. I wanted my disabled, bedbound wife to be able to watch TV on the computer, but we had to just give up again and again and again. She died recently, and never did have a good experience of BT Infinity. I honestly cannot be sure she ever watched a TV programme all the way through without a break in the stream. It is not right to provide a service as bad as this, and it is immortal to make a charge for it.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Problems with BT Infinity

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Here are some numbers which show I was not so stupid as to sign up for a service that doesn't exist.

Capture_2015_04_04_20_57_25_270.png

See, I'm supposed to be getting 80mbps, and have indeed achieved that rating on many tests. It just it never stays there. It's as likely to be 1mbps as it is 10, 50, 60 or 80mbps. Why am I supposed to keep checking it? Why hasn't BT got computers continuously monitoring the speeds of all our connections?

As for that other test, I have an ultrabook which does not have an ethernet socket. Also, I couldn't win the prize of a million pounds if you set me that task of finding an ethernet cable. And I sure as h*ll am not groping about on all fours fiddling with modems and cables. We all have wi-fi for a reason...

So I'll struggle on with my useless service. How about BT offers a service where you put your phone number in a box, and then the BT computers make contact with the hub/modem/wi-fi connected computers and printers and such, and do a proper diagnostic?

The thing is, I've been burnt too often. If all the customer-based faffing about actually did any good, I could feel motivated to do it. But I just can't be bothered, not again, not every week or so, not year in year out. I'm just too old for all this...

I've been turniing my hub and modem off an on again every few days, and I'll just carry on obeying the instructions to do so. When I do not, the service comes back, eventually, anyway. In my opinion this is a useless and pointless exercise. Why are my hub and modem so useless that they have to be restarted every 40 hours? Why not run quality software on them that does not need to be rebooted.

BT's motto seems to be

Are the Shareholders Happy? YES!

Are the Customers Happy? WHO CARES!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

can you please post the stats from your hub as that will at least start to give us some information to work on as to wireless speed i am afraid no isp will guarantee wireless speeds due to the very large amount of wireless based interference this is why wired tests are required
as to turning your hub on and off that is the worse thing you can do as that causes the DLM to see the line as unstable and increase your noise margin therefore reducing your speed
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

How about BT offers a service where you put your phone number in a box, and then the BT computers make contact with the hub/modem/wi-fi connected computers and printers and such, and do a proper diagnostic?

A great idea  however not practical due to the unlimited  variety of devices and network options least of all removing any security from your home network 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

it is also suggested by forum members to uninstall desk top help as in many cases can cause more problems than it cures
0 Ratings