cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 61 of 331

Re: Problems with BT internet and New MMO game - RIFT

Yes, at 11pm the p2p paranoia settings turned off and it was playable again.
0 Ratings
emmasimms
Aspiring Contributor
Message 62 of 331

I really hope this grounds to terminate my contract as there provinding a service thats unfit for its purpose.

After calling the Script Monkeys in India they offered zero help and had no understanding of there own job.

This is by far the worst ISP and i cant wait for the next 13month to go so i can drop this appaling escuse for an ISP.

Bittorrent is a legitimate distribution method but it would appear that the technophopic bigwigs have no clue on the company there running

0 Ratings
Tapout
Beginner
Message 63 of 331

Can we expect some communication/feedback from BT about this or are these forums purely for idle chat?  Just wondering how things work around here? 

0 Ratings
Rikk
Beginner
Message 64 of 331

Just like to add I'm having the same problem, I can understand the P2P throttling but how hard can it be to check where the port is attached to, ie trion and let it go through unmollested.

I also do a lot of torrent downloading from work and run into the same issue, surely just check if the ip is in a generic range then block it, if the ip is static (a company) then again, let it through.

Come on BT sort this out, I'm sitting here after having my ankle replaced with nothing to do and was really looking forward to this last night.

0 Ratings
Tven0
Contributor
Message 65 of 331

@Tapout wrote:

Can we expect some communication/feedback from BT about this or are these forums purely for idle chat?  Just wondering how things work around here? 

BT are meant to have Moderator's working for them and checking these forums and reporting issues such as this to the top. Whether we will actually see one soon is another matter.

0 Ratings
AndrewJM
Beginner
Message 66 of 331

Im having the same problem and i wanted to add one more to the post. This is a huge issue, i just hope it gets sorted out before the problem gets any worse. I have already pre-ordered the game and brought a sub, and im sure im not the only one.

To be more specific about the problem, at about 6pm last night i experienced no latency problems, and for about 10 minutes the game played fine. it was high, around 90, but understandable due to high server load. After that it was never under 40k and the game was totally unplayable. This lasted for several hours before the latency dropped at around 8pm ish.

I have been playing for about 5 minutes this morning and it seems fine.

Please sort this out a.s.a.p.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 67 of 331

Hi Guys

We are getting this investigated and will update you on this thread when we have more information.

Cheers

Stuart

0 Ratings
beowulf666
Message 68 of 331

will BT stop throtteling the ports that Rift are using or will we as loyal BT customers who wish to play this game have to move to another provider.no where does it state that certain restrictions are made by BT concerning the throtteling of broardband ports when we as users signed up,so is this a breach of contract on the part of BT?
0 Ratings
stusteel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 69 of 331

0 Ratings
Tven0
Contributor
Message 70 of 331

@stusteel wrote:

Best take a look here then.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/~/bt-broadband-fair-usage-policy

Yes, however it clearly states:

'P2P refers to certain applications that enable files and program sharing between groups of people logged on to a P2P network.'

We're attempting to play an MMO video-game, not log onto a P2P network or share files between groups of people. The policy says nothing about MMO games being blocked, so BT need to fix this as currently my service is not fit for purpose and the policy says nothing about throttling MMO video games.

Another quote:

'Because a lot of P2P traffic is not time-critical, e.g., downloading and uploading TV programmes or movies for later viewing, we treat P2P traffic differently from time-critical traffic (such as surfing, streaming or internet telephony) and apply speed restrictions to all P2P traffic.'

Playing an MMO game is time-critical. It's more akin to streaming than P2P, as you're receiving constant little packets of data to keep the game running smoothly.

At this point, all affected customers have the right to exit the contract as we're being denied a service that we have a right to as paying customers. Yes, they throttle P2P, however we're not using a P2P application - so why are we being throttled?

0 Ratings