cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 71 of 331

Re: Problems with BT internet and New MMO game - RIFT

Best you guys who play this game give the Mod (Stuart) a couple of days to sort things out. He has picked up the thread so just have a little patience and I'm sure he will sort it if at all possible.

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
OnLive
Beginner
Message 72 of 331

All,

This is not a BT problem.. It is a Trion issue which they have now admitted.

Please see the below link to their forum. For those who cannot access, their Mod has advised the below.

Hi! Yes, I posted about this in the sticky thread, but it got buried on page 17. We're hoping to have a temporary work-around in place tomorrow, with a more permanent change to the network port range to follow soon after. Please pardon our dust while we get this fixed up!

SteveChamberlin
Rift Team

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?67835-Cant-play-Rift-with-BT-internet./page25
0 Ratings
snow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 73 of 331

I couldn't get the indian call center I spoke to understand the whole throttling ports in the evening issue, and that I didn't need an engineer to come look at my router or the exchange end. Conversation just went in circles until I had to ask them to end the call as we were getting nowhere, very slowly. Hoping others are having better luck or this thread leads to something.

If the service isn't fit for purpose, we'll change ISP. Besides I'm fedup with half the time I try to upload an animation for work having the router mysteriously reset.
0 Ratings
snow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 74 of 331

This is a BT problem just as much as it's a Trion problem. Just Trion try to keep their customers happy better so they are faster at trying to sort out a work around to find the holes in all the various walls of port throttling in place the different universities, and ISP's have.

This wouldn't be an issue if the port throttling checked where the data is going and omitted key locations and services, but that requires work BT's end I believe.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 75 of 331

snow please note what the poster from rift has said

This is not a BT problem.. It is a Trion issue which they have now admitted.

also the board mods have responded please give them time to investigate the issue 

0 Ratings
Tven0
Contributor
Message 76 of 331

It is a BT issue as much as a Trion issue John46.

The fact that Trion are the first to propose a work around does not mean it is their fault. They changed the game to a new port range. They did it because other ISP's were suffering the same issue we're suffering now. They changed the range, and it stopped the other people from being affected, but in return the problem started to affect BT customers.

Other ISP's can play the game fine, whilst BT customers cannot play the game between 4pm-Midnight as the throttling kicks in. BT are currently limiting their customers from playing a video game, not a P2P service - so BT are also in the wrong. The data that is being sent and received from Trion is the same as what would be received from Xbox Live when you're in a Call of Duty match. Your space in the game world, other peoples actions, etc. Nothing extra is being sent or received to indicate it is P2P, it's merely the port being used. Trion can change the port, but BT could also be less stringent and properly identify applications for what they are.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 77 of 331

sorry I have to disagree the post made by the rift team clearly states Trion have ADMITTED the problem is theres the words posted say it all
0 Ratings
carts
Message 78 of 331

Same issue. Definate port throttle going on here
0 Ratings
snow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 79 of 331

I disagree completely, Trion are simply looking for a solution, that's all the post says, it's not an admission of culpability.

Shifting blame is the first sign of bad customer service anyway, instead of looking for a solution to a problem, you try and pretend it's somebody else's problem.

Neither company intended to cause the problem deliberately, jsut it appears Trion are more active in trying to solve it.

Throttling just started kicking in, game is now becoming unplayable from being fine earlier. This totally ruins our family evening plans. MMO-ing together is a good way of staying connected despite being in different locations, until something like this happens.
0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 80 of 331

Given that this issue is due to a change of ports because of problems with other ISP's(earlier post) then Trion should have checked with those ISPs whose customers were not having problems about possible issues with the range of ports they were going to change to.

If you have a problem then before you introduce a change make sure that you haven't just moved the problem.
0 Ratings