cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Problems with Home Move

We moved house on 29th June and, as arranged, an engineer visited on that afternoon.  Unfortunately, he was unable to install a new line and broadband service as it required updating the telephone line from the nearest pole and he didn't have the equipment to do this.  He promised that he would report back and we would receive a priority visit the next day.

There was no change in the information on the BT "Your Order" page and we received no e-mail notification or telephone call of the time of the engineer as we had prior to the first visit.  I rang the BT Help Line and, after 30 minutes of being kept on hold with appalling music I received a reply (on a very poor line) that the process would take up to five working days and our line would be in place by Wednesday 6th July.  This is very frustrating but at least I had a date.

I'm worried now that what I was told may not be true as the BT "Your Order" page is headed "We're sorry for your delay" but states that the set up was complete and service activated on 29th June. It also states that they are waiting for information from the engineers.  I have had no e-mail or telephone call from BT.

My queries are:

Is it possible that the person in the call centre plucked a date for installation out of the air to fob me off? If not, why isn't there a date shown on the "Your Order" page?

Is it possible that despite the earlier reassurances that the property could receive BT Broadband, it isn't actually possible?  Will BT let me know if this is the case so I can make other arrangements (previous owners had Virgin, as do neighbours).

If everything is OK, how much notice will BT give of an engineers visit? I'm flexible but, obviously, I can only check e-mails and the "Your Order" page every so often as I don't have broadband. I don't want to be hanging around the house waiting for an engineer to come sometime on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks if anyone has any advice or experiences that they can share.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Problems with Home Move

I have asked a forum moderator to help you they will post their contact link here
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 13

@OuseburnMoonraker I'm really sorry about the delay getting your line installed. We'll be happy to to check your order details with Openreach to find out what's happening.  Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your order details. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Thanks very much to Neil for answering my query and for investigating.

However, the news that the order will be reviewed on the 07/07/16 due to a delay with openreach is not really what we wanted to hear.  This makes it seem that there won't be an installation until well after that date and that there is a possibility that broadband won't be available for our address at all.

As we know for sure that our new street has Virgin cabling we are considering our options. We're not over-keen on changing providers but we also need to have broadband as soon as possible.  We think that we can start using Virgin Broadband sooner that BT will install a line.

We have been misled by the original information that we would get broadband on the day that we moved in.  We have been misled by the OpenReach engineer who told us that we were a priority and would receive a visit from another engineer the next day.  We have been misled by a call centre employee who told us that everything would be sorted out in 5 working days (by Wednesday 6th).

My query now is what does our order being reviewed actually mean?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

We've given up on BT. There's been no e-mails or phone calls about our order since the initial unsuccessful visit of the engineer.  Prior to his visit there was quite a bit of information.

The "Your BT Order" page still has an apology for the delay coupled with "Set Up Complete" and "service activation" both dated 29th June (when the engineer visited).  I cancelled the order yesterday and signed up to Virgin. Of course, there's no information about the cancellation online although I did receive an automated e-mail. 

The BT person on this forum and other contacts have been helpful but there's nothing proactive about BT's method for dealing with problems.  So we have left BT but, of course, there is no guidance on their website how to do this formally.  Does anyone have a link that doesn't involve wasting more time ringing a BT number?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 13

Hi @OuseburnMoonraker You should have received an email from @DavidM on the 3rd July. If you did not receive it check your spam folder and let us know if it's not there. 

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

I did receive the message is there and I referenced it in my second posting when I asked what "the order will be reviewed on the 07/07/16" meant. 

We have assumed that a "review" means that would be the earliest date that BT would consider our non-installation and that any subsequent installation would be some time after that.  Hence, we have signed up to Virgin and should have access to broadband and a phone line on or before the 7th.

I don't see why we didn't receive information about delayed orders from BT without having to join a forum.  Our internet  and e-mail access relies on buying additional access via a mobile supplier so I'm not sure what people who don't have this do when their broadband installation is delayed.

Anyway we have moved to another supplier now and judging by the tone of the engineer when he talked of the issues and the silence from BT, the organisation is probably pleased to get rid of us and not have the bother of installing a new telephone line! 

How do I ensure that my order is definitely cancelled and we have definitely left BT?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 13

Hi @OuseburnMoonraker I will get @DavidM to look at your case again tomorrow and update you.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Just to reiterate that I cancelled the order yesterday (04/07/2016) and received an (automated) message:

Thanks for contacting BT about your order cancellation.

We will be in touch as soon as we can to talk through and confirm your cancellation.

Thanks

BT

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Please remove all reference numbers from your post as it is a security issue as the references are personal to you as this forum can be viewed world wide
0 Ratings