cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
silowe2012
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Problems with Wi-Fi - Need MTU Defaults for Home Hub 3

I have a curious problem. I had Infinity 2 installed on 22/10/2012 and up until a few days ago everything was working fine. However, after some Windows updates (Samsung N140 running Windows 7 32bit Home Premium) I have lost the ability to connect to all websites via the wi-fi network apart from Google !

I have spent days looking at various fixes but nothing has worked thus far. However, I have come across a post on a forum that suggests changing the default MTU value via command prompt. My question is, what is the default MTU for HH3 ?

Incidentally, I have no problems when connected via Ethernet and also my wife's netbook (running Windows XP Home Pro) has no problems with wi-fi.

Thanks,

Simon

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
v8growl
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Problems with Wi-Fi - Need MTU Defaults for Home Hub 3

Are you sure you are actually connecting, and not getting google from the browser cache?

Anyways, to answer your question, for PPPoE you need a MTU of 1492 (8bytes are used for PPPoE stuff), the default is most probably 1500.

0 Ratings
silowe2012
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

I am sure it is not cached as the themed Google page (Halloween, Lowry Birthday) have appeared...

OK, thanks for confirming the default. Hope that works!
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 4

The suggestion may have been that the Google DNS lookup was cached, not necessarily the page itself. Try changing the DNS servers on the N140.

0 Ratings