cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BMBR1812
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Problems with internet speed after moving house.

For the most part my experience with BT Infinity 2 has been good, I've received top end speeds with little to no connection drops. Until I moved home (Same street, 5 doors down from previous house)

Upon moving home I was told that my house was already equipped for BT Infinity 2 and that I wouldn't require an engineer to come around. The only thing I needed to do was to take my existing equipment and set it up in my new house, which I did. After waiting 2 weeks to get connected!! I instantly noticed that my download speeds weren't as good as before so I headed to a few speed test websites, and they all reported the same thing, slower speeds. The speeds I am now getting are usually about 42MBPS down and 10MBPS upload.

I contacted BT via the online option, talked to them for a good 2 hours following all kind of instructions and after all failed they decided to send me out a new HH5 (which I am grateful for)

I received the hub today, connected it up, and as I initially though, the hub wasn't the problem, I am still getting subpar speeds. I am now lost in what I can do, I've followed every instruction given and I am still not getting what I am paying for. Normally I wouldn't care about not getting exactly what I pay for, but as BT Infinity is quite expensive compared to other broadband service providers I want the service I actually pay for. The only thing I can think of is that my house isn't properly equipped for BT Infinity.

My HH5 helpdesk information. Any help and advice would be appreciated as I am not going to continue paying £50PCM for a service I am not receiving when there’s a lot of other cheaper broadband options out there.

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ45016567
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 04:31:57
6. Data rate:16998 / 61151
7. Maximum data rate:34300 / 97718
8. Noise margin:15.2 / 10.8
9. Line attenuation:15.5 / 13.6
10. Signal attenuation:15.5 / 13.6
11. Data sent/received:326.6 MB / 5.5 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-58MH
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-58MH
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:18:1e:78:2a:ec:22
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0

Thanks for help in advance.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
BMBR1812
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: Problems with internet speed after moving house.

Untitled.png

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 20

You can not be guaranteed to get the same speeds as your previous property. You have a different line and this could cause a variation in your speed.

Your max data rate is showing at 97Mbps and your data rate is showing as 61Mbps which while not the top estimate it is within the lower estimate range. Your noise margin is higher than the optimum of 6 so there is room for the speed to increase. It may be that there is a fault on the line that is causing your low speeds.

To make sure that it is not an internal wiring fault, make sure that you have the Homehub connected to the test socket on the master socket and re-run the speed test.

If it does not improve I would suggest that you contact BT and report a fault to them and request that an engineer is called out to investigate.

0 Ratings
BMBR1812
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Thanks for the reply.

I have already tested my connection via the test socket when I was talking to BT support, it was one of the things they asked me to do. It made no difference unfortunately.

Like I said, upon moving home all BT asked me to do was to take my existing equipment to my new house and plug it in. No engineer came out or anything like that, is it possible my house isn't properly equipped to handle BT Infinity due to old wiring or whatever? I have tried everything they have suggested and also received a new HH5 and nothing has made a difference thus far.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

As I said it is possible you have a line fault. You should contact BT but it may be hard getting them to do anything if you are within the speed estimates.
0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 20

Do you have an Infinity SSFP master socket like this?

Infinity Master Socket

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
BMBR1812
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the reply.

My old house used to have the SSFP Infinity master socket, they fit it when I first signed upto BT Infinity as the house didn't have an existing master socket.

I now have the NTE5, this was already installed when moving into the new property. I have removed the faceplate and used the test underneith but the speeds remain the same.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 20

Do you have a picture the the NTE5 ?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
BMBR1812
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Would you like me to take a picture of my current socket?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 20

That would be ideal, or you may find one on Google (like I did)
If not, I'll try again 🙂