cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanSeale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 18

Re: Problems with verifying email address and SMTP settings

Yeah, like I said, I've tried it all ways.

AND, it was the same on a Mobile, and another PC using a different mail client and operating system.

This is all pointing towards a POP3 problem on the BT Mail Servers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 18

@IanSeale wrote:

The point is that they haven't changed, and that the problem exist across a fixed and mobile platform and more than one fixed deveice using different e-mail clients and operating sustems (that also haven't changed) are being affected.

I submit that this is a general BT E-mail server problem using POP3 to access Talk21 accounts.

But, out of courtesy, on my PC I am using:

Incoming (POP) Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port 995 (SSL)

Outgoing (SMTP) Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port 465 (SSL)

And, believe me I have tried every permutation, know to man, as well as some recommended alternative ports and it makes no good.

The clue to problem, I believe, is that when the mobile POP3 stopped sending, I couldn't re-instate it as POP3 - it would only re-instate as IMAP/SMTP.

The issue, I feel is to do with the BT Mail servers POP3 access and possibly related to the changes that BT/Yahoo have made/are making.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

With respect, if the issue is with the mail servers, then it would be affecting many other people - yet I've not seen any other similar reports. You say it affects you and your daughter, is this sharing the same internet connection ? Are you with BTinternet ?

mail.btinternet.com is 65.20.0.43, which is now cpcloud from Critical Path. I'm not sure when this was actually moved from the Yahoo servers - so could be relevant.

You might like to try smtp.btinternet.com, which is a different IP address - 65.20.0.70 - it may not necessarily be relevant.

You say you've used all sorts of ports - can you say what you've actually tried ?

Typically you can use :-

pop3 - port 110, SSL - No

smtp - port 25, SSL - No / smtp - port 587, SSL - no

I notice that you didn't give the full message in your initial post, should it be :-

The server responded: 522 Your message has not been sent as you are accessing your email over an unsecure or untrusted connection.

Are you by any chance using peerblock ?, what antivirus or other security system are you using ? These might need amending to allow Critical Path Inc.

Have you tried access via webmail, e.g. use http://mail.yahoo.com@ - using your full email address as the Yahoo! ID (or perhaps using the .t21 method, this is where the @talk21 is replaced with .t21@btinternet.com, including the dot before the t21)

0 Ratings
IanSeale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Andy,

I know you're trying to help, but have you ignored that fact that I lost POP3 e-mail sending on my mobile, and it couldn't be re-instated, and that 2 different computers, running different software and different e-mail clients are experiencing the same problem?

Yes, they are both on the same connection, one wi-fi, one wired to the same router and broadband connection - not BT Broadband - but another that I have verified with that there are no e-mail restrictions that would cause this problem.

My other e-mail accounts work fine over the same ISP.

I've tried all the ports and configurations that you mention, and the full message I am seeing on a E-Mail Test is:

"Send test e-mail message: Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: 522 Your message has not been sent as you are accessin"

Web Mail works using both account names.

No using Peerblocker, just Microsoft's own basic security.

This problem is happening across multiple devices:

* An Android Mobile, that was working POP3, until the problem, and is now unable to use POP3

on both a Greek (Cosmote) and UK (O2) mobile network.

* A Vista Laptop, using Microsoft Mail on a Wi-Fi connection - attempting to use POP3

* A Win 7 All-In-One Desktop using Microsfoft Outlook on a wired connection - attempting to use POP3

and both connections are via a verified ISP.

* The problems above happened all at the same time - as my Daughter was in the UK having problems, I was in Greece.

This is a BT Server POP3 problem, that is not being addressed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 18

@IanSeale wrote:

Andy,

I know you're trying to help, but have you ignored that fact that I lost POP3 e-mail sending on my mobile, and it couldn't be re-instated, and that 2 different computers, running different software and different e-mail clients are experiencing the same problem?

Yes, they are both on the same connection, one wi-fi, one wired to the same router and broadband connection - not BT Broadband - but another that I have verified with that there are no e-mail restrictions that would cause this problem.

My other e-mail accounts work fine over the same ISP.

I've tried all the ports and configurations that you mention, and the full message I am seeing on a E-Mail Test is:

"Send test e-mail message: Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: 522 Your message has not been sent as you are accessin"

Web Mail works using both account names.

No using Peerblocker, just Microsoft's own basic security.

This problem is happening across multiple devices:

* An Android Mobile, that was working POP3, until the problem, and is now unable to use POP3

on both a Greek (Cosmote) and UK (O2) mobile network.

* A Vista Laptop, using Microsoft Mail on a Wi-Fi connection - attempting to use POP3

* A Win 7 All-In-One Desktop using Microsfoft Outlook on a wired connection - attempting to use POP3

and both connections are via a verified ISP.

* The problems above happened all at the same time - as my Daughter was in the UK having problems, I was in Greece.

This is a BT Server POP3 problem, that is not being addressed.

Hi again, thanks for the extra details. Apologies for asking, but those extras can often pinpoint the issue. That error message is, as I said, not a complete one - which maybe due to the system only having enough character space to show some of it.

Thanks for checking webmail access.

Over the years, pop/smtp access for some people has failed for some reason or other - which can last anything from a few minutes to a few days. These are account specific issues

It's not a generic pop3 problem as I said, otherwise there would be masses of reports. There are a few recent reports with regard other Outlook accesses - but not receipt of email, which is typically fine.

What ISP are you on by the way, and is it a static IP address ?

There is a possibility that your IP address is being treated as "dodgy", and hence Critical Path may have blocks in place.

Personally speaking, I see that there will be lots more issues with the new mail server farm now it's moved from Yahoo!

Your best bet is to contact the moderators - use the Contact Us link at the top of the forum pages. They may take a few days to respond due to the amount of requests.

Please can you pop back when the issue is resolved and give the details - which would help future people. Thanks.

0 Ratings
IanSeale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 18

I've just been rung again by India 3 times and dealt with the Yahoo dedicated desk.

Finally, there is an admission from BT that it is THEM that have the problem.

It came about when they moved servers.

Yes, it IS a generic problem with the BT Mail servers affecting Talk21 e-mail accounts.

It is due to be resolved over the next 2 days.

AND, I'm due compensation - I just wish I could bill them for the hours I've wasted while they ignored me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 18

@IanSeale wrote:

I've just been rung again by India 3 times and dealt with the Yahoo dedicated desk.

Finally, there is an admission from BT that it is THEM that have the problem.

It came about when they moved servers.

Yes, it IS a generic problem with the BT Mail servers affecting Talk21 e-mail accounts.

It is due to be resolved over the next 2 days.

AND, I'm due compensation - I just wish I could bill them for the hours I've wasted while they ignored me.

Hi again.

Thanks for popping back with the info. Apologies for the inference that it not affecting others in general, as I said because there are not other similar reports.

Hopefully it will be corrected, and they will actualy say what the cause of the problem was.

I mentoned months ago when the change was announced, that they need to avoid the massive fiasco Sky caused when they moved from their customers from Gmail to Yahoo. Seems like there are some big issues to be ironed out.

0 Ratings
RGP
Beginner
Message 17 of 18

What has happened in the last few days with BT servers? Unable to send mail on laptop using outlook, iPad intermittent, Windows phone intermittent and desktop intermittent. Receiving mail works OK. Sending works very occasionally! Web mail OK. No settings have been changed on any device, all are as they have been for months and are as on BT web site. Indian call centre useless, not interested if web mail working. Should I go to SKY?

0 Ratings
gaztech46
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 18

I have the same problem. I've been with BT for a LONG.... TIME....  since their rollout of fibre broadband and was one of the first to get it in London.

Never had any issues at all with BT. 100% reliable - until now...  Can't send any mail via my Outlook 2010 client. Tried everything (different ports, different ways of login on) nothing works. Defiinitely an issue with the BT Mail servers. Receiving is ok.

I get an error every time I send relating to "too many messages".  I only send a couple of mewssages a day so it's definitely not too many messages being sent. Webmail works ok. No issues with that - but I expect it uses a different server to do the sending. Anyone know what that could be?  If you do others will want to use it!

I've been reading about issues like this since 2010 so this problem is not new. I need it fixed but I simply can't face calling the Indian call centre only to have the person at the other end read from their script and then tell me it's a problem at my end. It isn't - clearly it isn't.  Question is: what can I do about this?

Others have said that it may come back after a day or so but what do we as customers do when it doesn't?  I have a serious issue as I'm presently working abroad and really NEED it to work. I can't be making international phone calls that take hours to get it fixed - even if it were possible. This is surely down to the transfer from Yahoo mail (which was rock-solid).

Anyone from BT on here?  I need help. What can you do?  Please ??

0 Ratings