Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kamehameha
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Profile Change Request

Good day,

I have a Vigor 2860 load balanicng router (sold by BT for business users), with WAN1 fed by BT Adsl, WAN2 via ethernet connected to Sky router (ADSL). Both lines (Sky and BT) sit on same Openreach-installed twisted pair (2 years old). Distance to cabinet is 500M, from cabinet to exchange another 500M. Line stats on Sky is 2.7-3.3 db SNR, attenuation 16-19 db. Sync speed is 22017, download (speedtest) 18.5-19.3Mb; ping times 6-8. I tweaked SNR on that on, 1 is workable but not super stable, with sync rate going full 24000 and speed 22Mb.

Now BT line (installed about a month ago): when just installed, of course I experimented with SNR and several power cuts in the area didn't help. Requested a DLM re-run. Was only one disconnection (I have therefore doubts they did it, as usually, kept askimg me if I am seeing it on wireless or wired connection, the usual condesending BT's first line of defence), and stats where they are right now:

SNR: 2db

Attenuation: 19db

Bitswap: OFF (can't force it on whatever I do)

Path: Interleave, depth 320

Sync: 17764kb

Download: 15Mb

Ping: 15-25

I called them again. Same result, he just produly reported that my line is clean and there are no issues - I said I **bleep** knew that without him, and all I wanted is a profile change. He agreed with my stats it should be adiffrent league, at least 30% of speed stolen - bear in mind the parallel line is super stable and much faster with even slightly worse SNR - and promised to escalate the case and transfer it to BTw. Never happened - instead connected me to a sales team. So after few attempts I am giving up and aksing community to help with finding the right access point.

Thanks in advance,

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Profile Change Request

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router  Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router). must be done with wired connection

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

your profile is 88.2% of your conenction speed so to get a higher profile you need a faster conenction speed - not the other way round

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Kamehameha
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for quick response. Re profile - that's obvious to me, I wasn't suggesting anything else, so here we are clear. Connetcion - direct into the new BT Openreach MK3 2014 Version (VDSL/ADSL filter built-in), no other devices/sockets or wires connected to the mastersocket. Router upgraded to the laetst FW, with the vendor confirming what the settings should be for BT ADSL.

BTw Speedtester: DS-14.91Mbps; US-0.91Mbps; Ping: 41.63

Router stats: - connection up for 28 hrs

--------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) -----------
   Running Mode            : ADSL2+ Annex A       State                : SHOWTIME
   DS Actual Rate          : 17680000 bps   US Actual Rate       :  1128000 bps
   DS Attainable Rate      : 17716000 bps   US Attainable Rate   :  1128000 bps
   DS Path Mode            :  Interleave    US Path Mode         :  Interleave 
   DS Interleave Depth     :      320       US Interleave Depth  :        4 
   NE Current Attenuation  :       19 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :        2  dB
   DS actual PSD           :    20. 1 dB    US actual PSD        :    12. 4  dB
   NE Rcvd Cells           : 120109860       NE Xmitted Cells     : 27338533
   NE CRC Count            :    47737       FE CRC Count         :        0
   NE ES Count             :     4710       FE  ES Count         :        0
   Xdsl Reset Times        :        0       Xdsl Link  Times     :        4
   ITU Version[0]          : b5004946       ITU Version[1]       : 544e0000
   ADSL Firmware Version   : 05-07-01-08-00-01 
   Power Management Mode   : DSL_G997_PMS_L0 
   Test Mode               : DISABLE 
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
   Far Current Attenuation :        9 dB    Far SNR Margin       :        6  dB
   CO ITU Version[0]       : b5004946       CO ITU Version[1]    : 544e71c8
   DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < IFTN >

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Your questions are primarily answered by other BT customers. The only employees on our community are the forum moderators and a few subject matter experts. We can easily be identified by our title underneath our username. The replies you will receive are from customers who's only intention is to help, so while we appreciate you have likely come to the forum because something has gone wrong and you are probably very annoyed, please don't take this out on members trying to help
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

you must remember that no two lines are the same also your noise margin is to low the standard default on a BT line is 6dB also ADSL 2 and LLU lines are likely to perform differently as to a DLM reset that is not going to help as the DLM monitors the line 24/7 and operates totally automatically and any manual reset of noise margin will reset the noise margin back to 6dB
0 Ratings
Kamehameha
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

I guess based on the info my best choice is to move my second line to Sky, as I'm not sure why would I want an inferior service: higher latency, lower speed, strange customer service. My request was very simple, to change the line's profile - that is quite a popular topic on the forum, and with my stats it is obvious some throttling is applied, or there's a fault of some kind, and at BT nobody is interested in escalating the case. I was hoping here people could give a piece of advice as how to deal with things like that.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

BT do NOT throttle connections and there is nothing wrong with the connection you have you will also incur cancellation charges which in your case could be expensive

a reset as I posted would reset your noise margin to 6dB which will as I am sure you are aware reduce your connection speed and this will reduce the IP Profile and therefore your download speed will also reduce

the normal profile resets you see on the forum relate to noise margins not DLM resets
0 Ratings
Kamehameha
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

I did not say BT throttle my line, I'm aware of their policy in the area. My point is that since the line demonstrates good results, some throttling is probably applied at some level. I'm not worried about charges. I feel I made a mistake going with BT and I will pay for my mistake. Of course they will never have problems with customer acquisition but at least it won't be me paying further for inferior service. I have checked with a few of my neighbors and it is clear that my situation is not normal. In any case appreciate your attempt to help.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

you cannot compare neighbouring connection as I have already explained no two lines are the same and there is no guarantee that moving to another provider will improve the line speed as it will be still using the same copper pair to the exchange the only difference will be different exchange equipment that sky use to the BT ADSL2 equipment
0 Ratings
Kamehameha
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Exactly my point: two lines fed by the same twisted pair, with identical stats one gives 22mb the other one 17mb. That's 25% difference. Physics cant justify this, therefore we are talking either software or hardware. Where you have busineses operating with 5-10% margin at best, and although not a direct comparison, 25% performance difference would eliminate the competition. So I'm inclined to believe it is the software issue. Given really poor customer service, that only reinforces my argument. Anyhow, once again thank you for your assistance. No offence, but this is no different from the BT customer support unit. The reason I'm saying that is because I had had issues with Sky over 10 years, and maybe I was just lucky, but all issues had a tendency to be resolved within hours.
0 Ratings