cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drop_6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Profile set at 2168Kbps despite previous 38Mb profile. Uploads at 1.6Mbps despite 10Mb profile

I was connected to BT Infinity on 15/07/2011.

My download profile was 38717Kbps down and 10000Kbps up. I used to get 38Mbps down and 7Mbps up on speed tests.

My line then developed a noise fault and my internet would cut out whenever the phone was either picked up or hung up.

Called BT who sent out an engineer on 21/07/2011. 

He installed new cable to the pole and new cable to the green box. Said fault was gone.

Woke up next morning and fault had re-appeared.

My speeds also started to drop rapily (which seems to be a common problem after customers contact customer support) and I've been stuck with over 10Mbps less down and 5.5Mbps less up than I got before.

My ping has also gone from around 15-20 to 35-45.

Called BT who sent an engineer on 28/07/2011. He put a "new box on the pole underground" according to my father (I was absent this time).

My line is now completely silent and does not cut out the internet when used.

However, my internet speeds are still drastically lower than my line is capable of and my pings have risen dramatically, making gaming a hard task. The internet on the whole has become less responsive it seems.

I dont understand why I am being locked down to a 2168K profile when my line supports much higher.

I also dont understand why my upload profile is 10000K (10Mbps), but can only pull 1600K (1.6Mbps). Especially when it used to do 7000k (7Mbps) without problems.

Same for my ping. Surely fixing the problem would INCREASE the stability of my line (especially with new cable) and therefore facilitate speeds even better than before as opposed to killing them for no apparent reason?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Playful
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Profile set at 2168Kbps despite previous 38Mb profile. Uploads at 1.6Mbps despite 10Mb profile

Another victim of the infinity profile issue. They say wait 10 days and it should reset it self but don't hold your breath the best chance you have is to contact the mods but with infinity their hands appear to be tied.
0 Ratings
Drop_6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Re: Profile set at 2168Kbps despite previous 38Mb profile. Uploads at 1.6Mbps despite 10Mb profile

It seems I am indeed a victim.

What is most confusing to me, is how even though my IP profile for uploads hasn't actually changed, my upload throughput has gone all the way from 7Mbps (which is probably not even the max with all the noise I had on my line) to 1.7Mbps.

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
19157 Kbps

0 Kbps 21680 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

> Download speedachieved during the test was - 19157 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-21680 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -21680 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
1542 Kbps

0 Kbps 10000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1542 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

I thought it was the IP profile that is supposed to control your sync speeds and throughput?

If that is the case, then how can a 10Mbps upload profile only allow me 1.7Mbps speeds?

If anything, it shows that I've been locked off at option 1 upload speeds when I am paying for option 2 upload speeds.

It makes sense as a max of 1.7Mbps up sounds more like max throughput on a 2Mbps upload product than a 10Mbps upload product.......

The more I think about it, the more it seems BT are trying to make me pay £28 a month and only give me a service equivalent to their £18 a month service.......

What do you think?
0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 4 of 15

Hi Drop_6,

If you fill out the contact us form in the "about me" section of my profile, we can take a look into this for you.

Cheers,
Chris.
BT Moderator Team.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
Drop_6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

My upload speed went back up to 8Mbps the day after creating this thread and my ping went down to 15ms.

My ping went back up to 27-33ms the same day after playing some online games and has stayed up there again.

My download profile is still stuck at 21680K despite no problems in stability and 3 days-18 hours without a re-sync.

I was told to wait 3-5 days for my line to go back to normal so hopefully it should be back soon......hopefully 😕

Would like to know why my ping went down to 15ms and jumped back up to 30ms though.
0 Ratings
AmAtoL
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 15

I'm not going to comment on every thread relating to this otherwise I would be at it all day, ping seems to rise due to whoever adding a massive amount of interleaving after a line fault, may even be automatic, which seems to make sense as you cannot get it removed.

The bottom line is the DLM does not work properly, it kills your line if it detects a microscopic fault, if you should have a proper fault fixed then you definitely get the full hit of low speed and high ping.

0 Ratings
Drop_6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

The most messed up thing about all this though is that:

I never had a noise fault on my line before my infinity install.

My line could support 38/8Mb throughputs down and up respectively with a 15ms ping BEFORE I asked for the fault to be fixed.

After "fixing" the noise fault the first time, my pings doubled/tripled and my speeds went down to 22/1.6.

After actually fixing the fault with the second engineer visit, everything stayed exactly the same till I made this thread and insinuated that my upload speed was being throttled to the 2Mb service when I am paying for the 10Mb service.

My uploads shot up the next day....

Almost five days and the downloads havent budged although my ping went back down to 15ms for all of a few hours.....

To summarize:

-I had no problems with line before infinity.

-I installed infinity and suddenly a noise fault appears.

-My speeds were FASTER and more reliable WITH extra noise on my line.

-Asking for this noise that would normally mess with broadband speeds to be fixed has LOWERED my speeds, despite my line now being whisper quiet.

None of it makes sense.
0 Ratings
Steveflan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Please can you give a warm welcome to me, as its happening to me now. Slowly, but surly over time my ping has risen and my speeds decreased. Also why on earth do I receive a different IP address on a monthly basis? It has changed several times since install. 

Apparently, my line has a max stable connection at 25mb, if they force anymore I will get disconnected all the time, this is funny as I had 4 months of max stable connection at 38MB. So is BT cutting costs, what would they do if i just suddenly only payied them half the monthly bill. 2 Engineer visits later, the line is fine, depite my samknows report card with direct proof my line max is 38mb. Enough is enough, and I have had enough. 

Just a thought though, there does seem to be more noise on my voice call line. There never used to be any noise. Could this be the problem?

0 Ratings
Drop_6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

I thought might have been the problem too but it wasn't in my experience.

I had the noise fault on my line when I was at 38Mbps.

They dropped my speed to 21Mbps and the noise still did not budge at all till two different engineers came and did work outside to the BT infrastructure. Therefore dropping speeds to deal with noise faults obviously is not an excuse they can use here.

Now I have no noise I'm stuck at 21Mbps. Line noise and interefernce is like kryptonite for a broadband connection so for me to lose my speed after the noise being taken away has me confused out of my mind.

The first time I reported the fault, it went down a few Mbps after an engineer came round and installed new cable all the way to the green box.

This fixed nothing.

The second time I reported it the line was actually fixed and the noise fault is now completely gone, but my speeds went all the way down to 21Mbps and have not budged.

Even five days after the engineers visit (I received an email from one of the mods saying it should only take 3-5 days to get back to full speed) with no disconnections/dropouts I am still sitting pretty (slow) at 21Mbps.

*sigh*

0 Ratings
Drop_6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Received an email today 02/08/2011:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had a look at your line and it does seem that your IP Profile is stuck to 21680k since your sync speed at the minute is 40Mb. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whaaat!?

Where exactly is that 40Mb sync being measured from? My modem? The DSLAM? Cant be my modem, surely?

Its kind of annoying to know that my line is indeed fully capable but is being capped off by faulty hardware Smiley Sad

0 Ratings