cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drop_6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 15

Re: Profile set at 2168Kbps despite previous 38Mb profile. Uploads at 1.6Mbps despite 10Mb profile

Well, totally perplexed by my current sync rate apparently being 40Mb, I decided to go to my modem and plug it out of the wall to get it to re-sync. I was weary of this messing with my speeds even more, but the email from the mod gave me some confidence that they were taking notice.

I got this after re-syncing:

Thank goodness for that!

Thankyou to whomever was involved in fixing my noisy line and restoring my speeds.

My ping is still a bit higher than what it was, but I have a little more confidence that it may sort itself now as it has been falling steadily (literally 1ms at a time it seems).

Hopefully my line will retain the stability it has shown since the fault was fixed and I wont have to bother BT about it anymore!

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 15

Re: Profile set at 2168Kbps despite previous 38Mb profile. Uploads at 1.6Mbps despite 10Mb profile

Drop 6,
Glad to here you have got your speeds back.:)
Don`t worry too much about the ping level unless it gets really high as ping is dependent on the server that you are testing on or connected to for other reasons.
Usually the further the server is away from you the higher the ping.
Packet lose is the important factor and should always be zero.
To prove my point try a speedtest to the US or even Australia,your pings will go up depending on distance but the packets should all get there.
BTW,the ping reading in ms is the time it takes to reach the server and back so halving your ping reading gives you the time one way.
0 Ratings
Steveflan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 15

Cool thanks for your replies, it confirms prob what is wrong with my line too, I hope. I really would have thought they would have leant this by now though.

0 Ratings
Drop_6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 15

Thanks for the replies guys.

My ping has now managed a low of 18ms to the same server I was getting upto 40ms to before so my latency is definately reducing. Will be nice to not see so much lag while gaming again.

I got a call this morning about 10 minutes ago and was told that a BT engineer will be going to the exchange to investigate and will be working on my line to fix something or other.

I told them that re-syncing my modem seemed to have fixed my issue, but they said that the engineer would still be going to the exchange as "the line test is failing".

Not sure what that means, but I guess I'll take their word for it and pray that the engineer doesn't go and mess anything up again! *fingers crossed*

They also said that I would receive a phone call on friday (05/08/2011) to check that everything is working okay.

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 15

Drop 6,
The BT engineer is proberly going to check the fibre connection at the exchange and proberly another check might be made at the cab box.
0 Ratings