Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ianjura
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Project Scotland; decreased adsl speeds and realy cheesed of with bt

Go to solution

Project Scotland is a project to get broadband to remote communities by BT and the Scottish government
some time ago I received a email from bt stating that our exchange had being upgraded to 8 meg and I had to phone them I duly phoned BT.

Not a person in THE BT CALL CENTRES did not know about project Scotland OR THE EXCHANGE ACTIVE SCHEME  and they all said that the exchange was only capable of 512 kbs I explained to them about the exchange active scheme and project Scotland and that my neighbours where getting between 3 and 5 meg

AFTER ALMOST TWO WEEKS and many many hours on the phone I managed to get some help from a  bt call centre in Ireland Though my speed was CAPPED at 2 meg i Went ahead with the upgrade as i was cheesed of with the many hours wasted phone calls to BT

After a few weeks I got my faster connection with a line profile 1.9 MB all has being working fine stable without any problems

However my line profile has now drooped to 85 kbs and a test later 135 kbs download speeds are 15 - 16 kbs
I had that on dial up

I have duly phoned BT after several hours explaining about the exchange active scheme and project Scotland which bt staff still could not comprehend or understand

they are now saying the exchange is only capable of 512 kbs and thats all i should expect though some my neighbours are still getting 3 - 5 meg from the same exchange and the exchange is capable of 8 meg

Many other people on the same exchange here have all had  similar experiences many including myself are seriously moving away from BT

Due to the  BT's inefficient data infrastructure access and incorrect data the amount of time it takes to get help or contact some one in bt

I wonder how many other people have had similar problems with BT

I

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 10

Re: Project Scotland; decreased adsl speeds and realy cheesed of with bt

Go to solution

Hi ianjura,

Welcome to the forum.

The only info I could find on this was for a project called "Broadband Reach Project" on the scotland.gov.uk website with the Scottish government a non-BT wholesaler (looks like they were/are a satellite broadband company).

Searching for "Project Scotland" brings up info on a charity by the same name.

Though I personally don't have any info on this I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
With regards to your speed, can you run a speed test at www.speedtester.bt.com and post the results? Can you also post your router stats so we can take a look at them and see what's going on?

Stephanie
Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Rule4
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

This link may let you see whether your exchange will be providing 512kbps or 8meg:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/People/BroadbandforScotland/SEBroadbandInitiatives/Announcements

Hope this is of some help.

0 Ratings
ianjura
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Just of the phone to BT broadband technical suport still no sucess
they wont send a enginer out till I get my package uncaped from 512 kbs to 8 meg

Technical suport (India) instructed me to phone sales and services
Sales and services stated that my line is not capped and they referd me back to
technical suport and to ask for a senior manager

when I finaly got through to technical suport and requested for a senior manager
the receptionist would not let me speak to any managers
I explained the situation to her, then I asked for her name but she would not give it to me

Also she stated the exchange is only capable of 512 kbs she had very selective hearing
when i told her it was capable of 8 meg  and that it has being upgraded several months ago
and every one was geting the faster speeds

Still the selective hearing she stated the exchange was only 512 kbs and they will not send a engineer out till
the exchange is upgraded

I explaned to her adain that the exchange has being upgraded several months ago to 8 Meg
Also that before the exchange was upgraded I was geting 468 Kbs
and up to less than two weeks ago I was geting 1.9 Mb on a  2meg capped

She finaly agreed to send a enginner out and would phone me back with a apointment
18 hours later no appointment time and no return phone call

##################################

BT home hub2 line status/settings

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 16.0 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 44.8 dB / 27.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 3.5 dBm / 1.7 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 918 / 15
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 474 / 23
HEC Errors (Down/Up) 5437 / 44
Error Seconds (Local/Remote) 77 / 17

###################################

My last speed test with bt speed test

Download speedachieved during the test was - 82 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :2240 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

######################################

0 Ratings
ianjura
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
Hiya StephanieG
I still have the emails from BT regarding Project Scotland and the exchange active scheme Perhaps I should post them in the forum
Not one person in BT sales or technical suport knows anything about it though it gives you a sales and services number to phone and states to say that you are inquiering about Project Scotland
0 Ratings
ianjura
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Update and still no further ahead with BT

Go to solution

Still no further forward with BT slower connection speeds down to 19 kbs at one point and regular dropouts

BT stated that they would phone me back with a appointment time for a engineer they never did
I phoned them this morning after 39 minuets of queuing for someone one to answer the phone i give up
managed to get through tonight after 18 minuets of queuing only to be told that they where closing the case
as i could get online

after a long discussion basically bt said that they where closing the case and would phone me back tomorrow night
and if I was still having connection problems and slow speed they would arrange for a engineer to come out.

Time spent on phone to BT to date is 4 hours and 38 minuets the problem was reported at the end of October
and still no action by BT to resolve the problem
##############################################

I have replaced my filters and router and internal wirings
the recent results of the bt speed test show

Download speed achieved during the test was - 83 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :5568 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

Note I am less than 3Km from the exchange and was getting around 460 - 480 + kbs down when the
exchange was 512 kbs

################################################

Below is the router dsl info If any one has any suggestions I would be most gratefull

DSL Connection 

Link Information

Uptime:0 days, 14:51:42
Modulation:G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:448 / 5,568
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:5.34 / 17.29
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:26.5 / 43.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:24.0 / 15.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 5,343
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 45
HEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 9
Line Profile:Interleaved

Many thanks
Ian

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Re: Update and still no further ahead with BT

Go to solution

your noise margin is still high at 15.5 as normal about 6.  The main problem is that your profile is stuck at 135 and need a kick to get moving.  I suggest you email the mods with your account and phone number and a link back to this thread forum.moderation.team@bt.com

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ianjura
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Re: Update and still no further ahead with BT

Go to solution
Just a quick update BT have finaly got their fingers out after many many phone calls my adsl speed has went up to around 4 meg and appears stable I will post more info later many thanks
0 Ratings
ianjura
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Re: Update and still no further ahead with BT - problem solved thanks

Go to solution

BT have finaly got the problem sorted now getting 5700 kbs

A big increase in speed from 512 kbs which was all they said is all  i could get as the exchange
was still only capable of 512kbs origanaly after it was upgraded to 8 meg

As always its a nightmare to phone BT and sort any problems out
Several HOURS on phone 80% of time explaining to staff that they dont have the corect infomation
infrount of them

I would move to another ISP and phone provider if I had a option but just have to hope their is no more problems

Thanks for the help

Ian

0 Ratings