cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SiempreTuna
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Promised 21mbps but Line Profile is 14.9mbps

Recently signed up for infinity because I hoped it would be an improvement on the PlusNet fibre service I've had for the last couple of years.

During the sign up process I was 'promised' a minimum speed of 21mbps but the BT Wholesale Speed checker (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) rarely shows speeds over 10mbps and using the diagnostics option, it tells me the profile for my line is set at 14.9mbps, i.e. around 70% of the promised minimum.

I understand that it takes 10 or so days for things to settle down, but the speed is WAY off what was promised.  I'm usually lucky if I'm getting half my supposed minimum (and I was promised significantly less than half the theoretical 56mpbs rating) and too often it's well below that - like around 2mbps.

Has anyone else had similar experiences and did BT ever managed to make good on their promise?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Promised 21mbps but Line Profile is 14.9mbps

Welcome to this user forum.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Then, if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post lines 1-12

Or post the information from the smart hub, using this link.

http://192.168.1.254/0000012803/gui/#/technicalLog/information

Its going to be the same pair of wires that Plusnet used, so there is unlikely to be any difference.

0 Ratings
SiempreTuna
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your response.

I just went through the speed troubleshooter and moved the router from the telephone socket in the study to the main socket that turns out to be in a bedroom.  Speed has gone way up and actually hit 21mbps in one test.  Seems to averaging around 18mbps but that's around double what it was before so I'm very happy - even if it does mean I can can no longer connect the printer to the router .. but that's a different issue.

Apologies BT: seems it was my fault all along ..

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

This is just a customer to customer forum, so there is no need to apologise Smiley Wink

If you want some suggestions that may help to improve the speed even more, then please ask.

0 Ratings
SiempreTuna
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Actually, a couple of suggestions might be appreciated.  It's now been a couple of days and the line profile has changed to 19.4mbps which is WAY better, but still not the 21mbps I was promised.  Just wondering if there's anything else I can do ..?

Also, the connection is a little flakey: keeps dropping out altogether, sometimes for a few moments other times for a minute or two.  I thought this might be related to the line reconfiguring but nothing appears to have changed with the line over the last few days.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

You could try connecting your hub to the test socket and reposting the hub stats using this link 

Then, if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post lines 1-12

Or post the information from the smart hub, using this link.

http://192.168.1.254/0000012803/gui/#/technicalLog/information

Test Socket.jpg

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@SiempreTuna wrote:

Actually, a couple of suggestions might be appreciated.  It's now been a couple of days and the line profile has changed to 19.4mbps which is WAY better, but still not the 21mbps I was promised.  Just wondering if there's anything else I can do ..?

Do you seriously think you can tell the difference betwen 19.4 and 21Mbps?

0 Ratings