cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
camper
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

Public IP & device IP showing in emails sent in outlook /IPAD/IPhone but not in webmail ?.

Go to solution

Hi, why should this matter and is it something to be wary of?  

Switched my iPhone  /IPAD to BT setting/ servers rather than use the designated Yahoo! ones on the devices to stabilise service. Now Working fine.  Ditto , now going through Outlook on desktop PC

But have noticed that whereas with webmail (btyahoo!) there were so many different IP adresesse/servers showing in headers I was confused, now my own Public IP and device name is visible in Outlook generated mail & IPHONE/IPAD  my actual device local /system IP (192.XX.XXX etc)  is showing.

Is this normal ? whats the reasoning and why does it not happen on webmaiL.

Happy to share headers if needs be, but I'm susupecting that somebody will have an easy answer for this.

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Public IP & device IP showing in emails sent in outlook /IPAD/IPhone but not in webmail ?.

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

Re: Public IP & device IP showing in emails sent in outlook /IPAD/IPhone but not in webmail ?.

Go to solution

Whenever email passes through a mail gateway, the identity of the sender and the gateway are tacked onto the email headers.  That's absolutely normal.  If the mail hops through several gateways on the route to its destination, each will add their bit to the headers.

If you use webmail, the original sender of that email is the web server into which you typed your email your webmail, not your device.   Your device is just running a web browser, not a mail client.

If you use a mail client such as Outlook, then the sender is your computer.  So the email headers reflect that.

Somebody knowing your private IP address is pretty much useless.  All computers on networks controlled by Home Hubs will have IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.xxx.  That means there will be loads of computers in different homes across the country with exactly the same IP address.  That address range isn't routable over the Internet, so nobody outside your home network can contact it.

Your public IP address is a very poorly kept secret.  Every time you visit a web page, the owner of the web server can find out your IP address.  It's added to emails for diagnostic purposes.  If nothing else, it helps to identify fake emails - because the originating IP address won't match the supposed sender.

0 Ratings
camper
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

@Ectophile @gg30340  Thank you both. 

Great stuff. Cheers. 

0 Ratings