cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 21

Put up or make a fuss?

When Infinity was installed about a year ago we were told by the engineer that he reckoned we should get in the region of 60Mbps. We are about 90m from the cabinet so that bears out. We did briefly but it soon became 50 ish, then 40 ish, and just tested it several times using speedtest.net and tonight its 35Mbps. I can't recall the URL of the BT commercial test that I have been given previously but in any case that was always slower than speedtest.net. I ensure that all wireless is switched off and connect direct to the hub.

We find the speed ok but I cant help but think we aren't getting what we told we would get and why. I don't really want to spend an hour on the phone to India so thought I would post here, see if anyone has any views / suggestions.

Thanks.

T

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Put up or make a fuss?

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 21

Thanks, I'll do all that and get back.

One problem is that the ethernet port on my laptop seems to have packed in. I could use a desktop PC connected to the router through Devolo dLAN 500 Powerline adaptors. Would that be ok? The speeds I get aren't 500Mbps but certainly in excess of 200Mbps.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

No, you must be connected directly to the Homehub. Powerline adaptors inherently lose speed so you would get an inaccurate reading.

0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 21

Ok thanks, I'll borrow a 5m ethernet lead from work tommrow and get back.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

Can you post the hub stats and dslcheckerwas results as they don't need a cable connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 21

Ok, here's the DSK Checker. Not sure what you mean by stats, do you mean event log?

Thanks.

T

DSL Checker.JPG

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

If you have the hh5 then go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 21

OK, on it now.
0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 21

Stats:-