Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tommyboy_
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Query about line speeds

Hi everyone,

Several months ago we changed ISPs from Sky to BT. Everything has been great with BT, except that I noticed that our download speeds are twice as slow. I decided to compare stats from months ago and today, and this is what I found.

Sky results:
yep.PNG

(ignore the download speed at that point, we was being throttled)

BT results:

yep2.PNG

When Sky wasn't throttling us like that in the evenings, we'd have a stable connection that was easily twice as fast than what we have now. I'm not sure on what has happened, but nothing has changed other than our ISP and the router we use from a Netgear router to a BT Homehub. From comparing them stats, our DSL Connection Rate has dropped and so has our IP Profile. Is this something that is fixable or is it one of them things I just have to live with? 😛

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Tom

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Query about line speeds

Welcome to this customer to customer forum.

To enable forum members to help you, please could you look at Helping forum members to help you which asks you to do a few checks first, and has some helpful hints.
When you have done that, please post the results here, so members can offer advice. Thank you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 20

check your exchange to see if SKY were providing and LLU service and also to see if exchnage is 21CN enabled 

check exchange here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tommyboy_
Beginner
Message 4 of 20

Hi Keith,

yep3.PNG

Tom

0 Ratings
tommyboy_
Beginner
Message 5 of 20

Hi imjolly,

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EAORS This is my exchange. I forgot to mention that Sky were renting the line off of BT because they don't have their LLU equipment installed.

Cheers,

Tom

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

can you go back to stats page and show detail and post rest of errors.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tommyboy_
Beginner
Message 7 of 20

yep4.png

Is this correct?

Cheers,

Tom

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

I would expect a speed of about 6112Kbs, but you have some spare noise margin, so if you leave it connected, and do not disturb it, the speed might rise after another week.

If it does not, then a reset of the line profile can be arranged.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

are you connected to the test socket? is quiet line test quiet as your noise margin is higher than normal 6

0 Ratings
tommyboy_
Beginner
Message 10 of 20

Hi Keith, that's great to hear - I'll see how it goes. If things don't improve, how do I go about having our line profile be reset?

Cheers,

Tom

0 Ratings