Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Query on "Minimum speed guarantee"

Go to solution

I was previously a BT customer but moved last year to Plusnet (I know they're really BT). Today I have a Infinity type FTTC service that gets me 14-15Mbit down, 1Mbit up (on a good day).   My current annoyance with Plusnet is the bandwidth throttling and so am considering moving back to BT (or somewhere else).

I am approx 1.5 miles from the FTTC Cabinet (Cab 17, Drumaness, Northern Ireland) so I suspect my speed is really the best I can hope for.  However BT's speed checker says 51Mb-70Mb with a "45Mb Minimum speed guarantee" when using my postcode and phone number.

I'm pretty sure a straight service swap will not yield a better service.

Considering ordering 'Infinity 2' with a brand new line with BT. All it will be for is Internet. However there isn't much point if it only gets 15Mb.

Now to the Minimum speed guarantee.   If BT are unable to get 45Mbit after 30 days, am I entitled to a refund (at least of unused service) *and* cancellation of the phone line that is only for the internet?

Thanks,

PG

BT45mbit.png

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Query on "Minimum speed guarantee"

Go to solution
Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply.

Here is the output:

btchucker.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

For completeness. My current Plusnet 'helpdesk' page from the router (same as the HomeHub 5, I believe) on the same line as above.

plusnet.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Have you tried connecting to the test socket to see if your connection speed inproves
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

I have. Plusnet even sent an engineer out (BT Engineer - they don't have Openreach in Northern Ireland).

Modem in the test socket of the master socket.   No additional wiring or extensions.   I do have a twisted pair that takes the broadband from the pushdown block inside the master socket to my 'server shelves' in the utility room where the router normally lives.   However, BT has shown this makes no difference to my speed.

Strangely the BT guy said he could do more if I was a BT customer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Are you a long way out in the countryside from the distribution pole that feeds your house, that could explain the difference between the checker figure and reality? You certainly wouldn't get the speeds the checker says if you are 1.5 miles from the cabinet in any case. I very much doubt the BT guy could do anything different for a BT customer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I agree with licquorice that it is doubtful you would get any improved speeds because of the distance to the cabinet. The only way that it would improve would be if there is an "infill" cabinet nearer to your house that may be used if you move ISP however I don't know how you would go about finding out if that is the case.

See link about guarantee speeds.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
VDSL speeds are based on an average at the DP, the box on top of the Pole.

Most people are within 30-60m of their DP so it's not an issue.

Problems crop up though when you get lines in more remote areas. They'll usually put a DP somewhere and they'll then put it on a Continuous Length to the last house.

I saw one recently, guy was promised 40mbps and at the DP he was getting 50mbps. Problem is his house was on the end of a 4km lane so in reality got nothing!

Also what CP's fail to mention is the 'Gauranteed' Speed they sell is NOT provided by Openreach, or BTNI in your case. Openreach in fact don't provide any Guaranteed Speed, they'll provide the fastest they can but by no means Guarantee anything.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Openreach may not have a "Guaranteed" speed but they do have a handback threshhold. This is what ISP's guaranteed speed is based on and allows the ISP to let the customer cancel without charge if the threshold is not met. Openreach waive install charges to the ISP.

A guarantee in all but name.

0 Ratings