Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Question About Type A and Type B Home Hubs

Hi there,

Can anyone simply tell me the differences between Type A and Type B Home Hubs, I cannot find this information anywhere on the BT site. Your help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Paul 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Question About Type A and Type B Home Hubs

just different manufacturers and minor hardware changes nothing significant
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Hi john46,

Thanks for clarifying this information with me, would you say going for a Type B Home Hub is wiser than going for a Type A Home Hub? It's just we have seemed to have been issued with mainly Type Bs than Type As when upgrading the Home Hub as part of our broadband packages, this was from the Home Hub 2 where we had 2 when swapping from ADSL to Infinity to the Home Hub 3, we have so far never had a Home Hub 4 where there are 4 versions, 2 for ADSL and 2 for Infinity, this is also true for the Home Hub 2 as well as the Home Hub 3 plus we've never had a Home Hub 5 which I know there are 2 versions nor a Home Hub 1 where there was only 1 type of Home Hub 1 and Home Hub 1.5.

Kind regards,

Paul 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

the hubs are just sent out in any order there is no guarantee whether you get a type A or B and you cannot request a particular version there is no basic operating difference between the two
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Hi john46,

So from what you are saying Hubs are sent out randomly from both batches to BT customers who have either ADSL or Infinity, have I understood you correctly?

Kind regards,

Paul

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

yes that is correct
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 19

The HH5a is made by a different manufacturer to the HH5b.... The hubs themselves are identical....

They have two different manufacturers making them as a fail safe, if the people who make the type A were to suddenly go bankrupt they have the people who make type B as a back up....

BT have always done this, Openreach for example... Why do you think their Engineers drive a mixture of different vehicles, Vivaro, Transit, Transit Custom? It's because if say the Transit Custom had a safety recall they've at least still got their Vivaro and Transit drivers out in the field......
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 19

But with even less chance of making an appointment.

Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Thanks for clarifying john46, much appreciated, thank you.

Kind regards,

Paul

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 19

@lines_man wrote:
The HH5a is made by a different manufacturer to the HH5b.... The hubs themselves are identical....

Strictly speaking the hubs are not "identical". 

In general the B variety are better than the A's.  

For example the 3 A and 5 A suffer from the data value reset problem while the 3 B and 5 B do not. This is the most obvious difference.

0 Ratings