Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

Question about Draytek Vigor 2850vn max sync

Go to solution
Hi all, Accidentally lost the first message I had finished typing, didn't post successfully. Anyway, Infinity is near (one of those new green fibre cab's just appeared next to the PCP I should be connected to) and I wanted to ask if anyone knew whether the Draytek Vigor 2850vn is limited to 50mbit sync on VDSL/Infinity? Some places I found on Google mentioned that but I am uncertain if it's true. If it's not true then I'll be ordering it on dabs hopefully before the cut-off time, as I can use it to temporarily replace my Draytek Vigor 2820 router and use it on ADSL until Infinity is ready for my postcode. Many thanks.
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Question about Draytek Vigor 2850vn max sync

Go to solution
Nah I believe the latest firmware makes it perfectly fine for the 80/20 service, and more than likely for higher speeds when they do arrive in the future.

To be honest, unless you need tonnes of network access and features the Openreach modem and the hub will be fine 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
Hi, Many thanks for replying. I'll check out the release notes for the firmware to see if I can get confirmation, perhaps if I also email Draytek too if I can't find out anymore on that one. The only reason I'm looking to use a Draytek is because mainly A) I would like port forwarding to be a breeze, I'm not familiar with HH3 or OR's modem control panel interface (or whatever equivalent may exist to that), B) I want to setup QoS and throttling on the network at home so as to ensure no single person can completely hog the line with things like multiple active downloads from file sharing websites for example. Not to mention I'm familiar with Draytek and have never had any problem with my current router to date :).
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Not sure if this helps but I emailed Draytek a while back about this - they replied Jan 19th so things may have changed:

"I am thinking of replacing the modem supplied with my BT Infinity connection and was wondering whether the 2850n/vn would be suitable.

In the description you state that "The Vigor 2850 is a variant of our Vigor 2830 series with the addition of a built-in interface which supports both ADSL/ADSL2+ and also VDSL lines (such as the BT Infinity™ service) for connectivity up to 50Mb/s"

My question is about the "connectivity up to 50Mb/s" part. Currently BT infinity is an "up to 40Mb/s" connection but there will soon be an upgrade to "up to 80Mb/s".

Would the 2850n be able to support this speed or is 50Mb/s the maximum it will support? In fact what is the maximum VDSL speed that the 2850n and 2750n support?"

The reply was:

"Both the 2750 and 2850 support these VDSL profiles: 8a, 8b, 8c, 8d, 12a, 12b, 17a, 30a 

The units can connect at high speed profiles however it just hasn't been tested
on those. The actual internal maximum possible rating does exceed 50Mb/s
but right now we're using a conservative official maximum speed."

I didn't buy one in the end!

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
Lol - I asked the same question before buying (and ultimately returning) my 2850n

"Thanks  for your email.The maximum firewall througput on this model is
100meg.Please see the comparison chart below. 50Mb/s(BT Infinity) is  used for
reference.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison.html

Regards"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Not sure about the 2850,but the 2750n definately can and does support the new 80/20 format.

I use a 2750n and get readings of 77.7Mbps/16.8Mbps on the best testers.

My profile is also ok at 77.8/20 on the BT tester.

That chart at Draytek looks wrong as on my box and manual it states that it is a VDSL2 router.

And on the beta tester I have seen short bursts of 100Mbps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Many thanks for the additional replies. I suppose at the end of the day it couldn't hurt to try the 2850vn and see what rating it does achieve once the Infinity box is fully complete and goes live for my postcode, and obviously my phone line once I've ordered it.

I did check using a checker (that I can't probably mention due to competition with another company and such) other than BT and they did give me an estimation of roughly 58.5mbit down and 18mbit up. I am approximately 75 meters from the cabinet that I should be connected to (however that's roughly point to point, so will no doubt actually be longer).

If it does under achieve what my actual line can achieve then I can either return it or sell it on to someone else, or keep it and bridge it to the OR modem (unless that is what you're supposed to do anyway?). In the meantime I can connect it to my current ADSL2+ service and replace my Draytek 2820n router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@ironman123 wrote:

Not sure about the 2850,but the 2750n definately can and does support the new 80/20 format.

I use a 2750n and get readings of 77.7Mbps/16.8Mbps on the best testers.

My profile is also ok at 77.8/20 on the BT tester.

That chart at Draytek looks wrong as on my box and manual it states that it is a VDSL2 router.

And on the beta tester I have seen short bursts of 100Mbps.

That's interesting to read. Do you mind me asking ifyou plugged the BT OR modem or HH3 in since the upgrade?

I have struggling with the upgrade. It's been 6 days now and instead of the nice, solid 38/9 I was getting before the upgrade I am now getting some very erratic speeds. Generally around the 15-18 down and a more reliable 10 up. I have been wondering whether I needed to plug the OR modem in to .... well, I don't know.

The 2750n is stating that my profile is 79984/19999 so I can't understand why the speed has declined from the consistent speeds I was getting pre upgrade. I had been wondering if it was down to the Draytek, but your post suggests not.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Is that with any OR equipment or is the Draytek router directly using Infinity on its own?

Although this thread was solved, since someone replied again I thought I'd mention I've ordered a Cisco 887VA router which does both ADSL2+ and VDSL2 (Infinity) with support for all current profiles up to 17a (30a isn't supported, but isn't used at the moment as I know anyway), with up to 100mbps allowed for on the WAN port. The only confusion I have is whether I need to buy an RJ45 to RJ11 cable as I read in one manual online that the WAN port is an RJ45, and Cisco has a an optional part which is an RJ45 to RJ11 cable. If anyone knows please feel free to answer here, or point me in the direction of an answer. I had considered asking on here or the BT Infinity Business forum. Another thing I'm confused about is whether, if I wanted to and was willing to pay the monthly extra necessary, whether as an individual I could order BT Infinity for Businesses (so I can have a static IP basically), again if anyone knows please feel free to say :).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@LJ50 wrote:
The 2750n is stating that my profile is 79984/19999 so I can't understand why the speed has declined from the consistent speeds I was getting pre upgrade. I had been wondering if it was down to the Draytek, but your post suggests not.

Hi LJ50 I am using a DV2750n with the same syncs as you report and I am gettting full speed from the unit with speedtests in the upper 70s down and over 15 up on my own PC which has a gigabit card. My wife's machine is older with a 100Mbps ethernet and that delivers around 65Mb/s down which indicates that the speed of the network card/PC can be a limiting factor. 

Many Speedtests struggle to deliver consistent results the Speedtest.net Maidenhead server is one of them but their Newbury one is OK as is the Namesco London one. The most consistent tester is the BB Max Namesco one Webby has been quoting. BT speedtester is totally useless!!!

0 Ratings