cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Question about SNR - New Infinity Activation

Hi all, the day finally came 2 weeks ago and we could order Infinity 2, which we did the same day it went live as available to order. It all got sorted a week later and has been good so far.

The question I have is about the SNR of the new connection. I know the ADSL & VDSL systems are different so I expected a change in SNR but was not expecting it to go this high. It's currently at 23.3/14.1 where as before we were around 6/6 on ADSL.

We are in the first 'magic 10 days' so was wondering if that had anything to do with it?

Also I have noticed that in the prime time in the evening we get a drop in speed to about 50ish but sometimes as low as 20-30 which would make me get a visit but as we are still in the first 10 days I'm gonna let it pass for now. That's right? Right?

Stats page below for reference:

Product name: BT Hub 6A
Serial number: +084316+NQ73279725
Firmware version: SG4B10002244
Firmware updated: 22-Oct-2017
Board version: 1.0
Gui version: 1.32.0
DSL uptime: 2 Days, 2 Hours 37 Minutes 32 Seconds
Data rate: 20.00 kbps / 79.99 kbps
Maximum data rate: 19999 / 108219
Noise margin: 23.3 / 14.1
Line attenuation: 16.4
Signal attenuation:
VPI / VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type: Fast Path
Data sent / received: 728 MB Uploaded / 414 MB Downloaded
Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi: Not active
2.4 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-PTS7
2.4 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 6)
5 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-PTS7
5 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 36)
Wireless security: WPA2 (Recommended)
Band steering: Off
Wireless mode: Mode 1
Firewall: On

TYIA

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Question about SNR - New Infinity Activation

noise margin is ok and is high as your max attainable is higher than the actual data rate  the up max data rate looks low compared to actual rate and high noise margin  it may show correct figure at next reset

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 8

@WigglesGRN wrote:

We are in the first 'magic 10 days' so was wondering if that had anything to do with it?

There is no 10 day training period on FTTC.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Your noise margin is fine as you are syncing at the maximum speed just let the connection settle
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Yeah I know that there is no 10 day DLM as it's done at the DSLAM not the exchange, but as always phone support say there is. Will let it settle and see how it goes
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 8

Let us know how you get on @WigglesGRN. If there are any problems we'll be happy to take a look for you.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks David. I have noticed in the evenings we drop down to around 30-40 downstream. Will wait till it's been 10 days for it to settle and then go from there. Also I have noticed that the hub has been solid bit the 'network uptime' has dropped a couple of times so far its about 2 days uptime. That's normal right? Or is that the DSL circuit resetting at the DSLAM?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

if you cabinet has just had fibre avaiulable then from my experience as more people get added to the cabinet then you get more 'noise' resulting in max dat rate dropping but your actual data rate should still be at max 79.99mb  the noise margin may well drop as well

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings