Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Question about changing router/modem

Hi,

I am thinking of changing my router from HH3 to something a bit better like a Asus RT-N66U or something similar. Now my question is would it work with a openreach modem or if its possable would it be better to get something like a Asus DSL-N55U modem/router? 

The reason i ask is because i get periodic disconnects and it seems i have very bad bandwidth. I say this because a speed test i will get somewhere between 60-70Mb DL but im unable to stream tv programs at 720p without getting buffers every few minutes. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Question about changing router/modem

The choice is yours. Either will work with Infinity. It depends on if you want a one box solution or not.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 9

Fritz!box 3390 is an integrated VDSL modem/router.

gets good reviews

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Well that good to hear about them working with infinity. the reason i was looking at the asus ones is because they have lots of QoS control. I also have a 2nd question and that is would upgrading be a worthwhile move from a HH3?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Ok so i think i have VDSL instead of ADSL so am i right ti think these routermodem combos wont work such as Netgear D6200 AC1200.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

The  Netgear D6200 AC1200 is an ADSL modem/router. It would only work on Infinity which is VDSL, if you have an Oenreach VDSL modem which you would need to connect it through.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Oh ok, so do you have to use the openreach modem or can you use other VDSL modems and if you can would there be any benifits form useing a different modem, for example stronger connetion or better speeds?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

You can use any VDSL modem you want however the Openreach ones are optimised for use on the BT network and do not require any setting up. If you use a non Openreach modem you may be able to get line stats etc that re not available to you on the standard Openreach one. It is unlikely you would get any great speed improvements.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Ok cheers for the help sorry about all the questions just want make sure before spending a tonne of money. So something like a Asus RT-AC68U Wireless-AC1900 or a Netgear R6300 AC1750 would work fine with the open reach modem even if its a VDSL connetion?

0 Ratings