Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Question about testing period

Go to solution

Hi,

Yesterday I got hooked up to BT Total Broadband Option 3, the speed has been really choppy and we've had a few dropouts. I understand it's the testing period but are these stats normal as they don't seem normal to me (really low noise margin). Also the downstream says 4.5mbps but I can currently only download at less than 30kbps with anything?

Thanks in advance

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 17:34:16
Downstream:4.5 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):2.6 dB / 17.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):52.8 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.3 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 2370
CRC Events (Down/Up):2649458 / 2727
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):5770245 / 3109
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):78982 / 5936

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Question about testing period

Go to solution

Lots of CRC events is the problem, as your Latency type is set to fast at the moment, when it should be interleaved. This should sort itself out within the first 10 days. If not, then return here for assistance.

Nothing can be done during the first 10 days.

CRC events will slow your download speed considerably.

If you have extension wiring, then this may contribute to the errors.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

the training period is 10 days and you should remain connected 24/7 with no manual resets if possible.  your connection may drop (often) as the exchange equipment tries to find the best stable connection for your line.  your connection speed is possibly slightly high for your attenuation and during the period you may find your noise margin increases to about 6db which is normal with a drop in connection speed.

you have a lot of crc/hec errors suggestiin noise on your line which will not help your download speed.  can you run btspeedtester not beta and post the results.

can you try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best with corded phone   if cordless then dull hum normal

are you conencted to the test or master socket?  do you have other sockets? 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

As predicted the speed is beyond terrible. I'm using the master socket and the phone test was absolutley crystal clear. I had Sky Broadband before and we never had anything like this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Do you have a Sky box plugged in to your phone line anywhere?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

No, we got rid of the sky box (router and tv) a few weeks ago, just the homehub and phone connected to the phoneline

Regards

John

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

do you have other extension sockets?  if so have you tried connecting to the test socket?  have you removed the bellwire from terminal 3 in th master and all extension sockets

bellwire removal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Hi,

Test socket yields same results, and the bellwire got removed a few months ago. We have a phone upstairs using a different socket (not a phone extension cable) if that's anything.

Kind Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Its a good idea to eliminate any other possibilities of noise pickup, as the error seconds count is also quite high, which would indicate possible bursts of interference.

I assume that you are not using the old Sky extension lead/splitter box?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

sorry it's extension sockets not cable I was asking about.  is it possible to conenct to the test socket via a filter to eliminate any noise problems caused by your internal wiring - trying to reduce the line noise bring down the crc/hec errors

0 Ratings