Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mohammedmumtaz
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 23

Question about wired/wireless difference

Hi guys,

I'm not one of those guys who is really tech savvy so I wanted to ask..

I have 11 devices connected to my homehub 3 including my xbox which I have had conenction problems with for 6 months.

I heard that the bandwidth gets split between all devices which are connected to a network so could that explain why I have had stuttering and lag problems on the console? But I find it strange that the only game which is affected by the lag is FIFA 13, I have no issue with any other game.

If I was to connect using an ethernet cable to my xbox, would I get a connection where all the bandwidth goes to the console? Because the xbox would be the only device connected the network which is wired?

Please help me! All I want to do is play FIFA without any connection problems, has been half a year now.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Question about wired/wireless difference

You can only ever get the bandwidth you are provisioned for.

If you have a 40Mbps connection that is the maximum you will get across all devices.

Your Xbox should perform better with a wired connection as wireless also has a higher rate of overheads.

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 3 of 23

The bandwidth is allocated between devices as they try to use it, so that having lots of devices connected but relatively inactive shouldn't significantly slow down a device that is really trying to use lots of bandwidth.

Often, stuttering is not to do with the speed/bandwidth of the connection, but the latency (ping) and reliability (whether packets are getting lost or not, and other similar details).  Wiring the xbox could well improve speed, ping and reliability.

If you have problems with one particular game it could be because that game is more dependent on really excallent connection, or that the servers for the game are a long way awy, or somewhere with a poor link from the BT network to the game servers.  I'm not a gamer so I don't know more specific details; I'm sure some gamer here will be able to give more details about particular issues that may apply to FIFA13.

0 Ratings
mohammedmumtaz
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 23

I will post my traceroute from my network to the Ea servers below;

traceroute.jpg

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

0 Ratings
mohammedmumtaz
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 23

Those were posted by me...

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

Oops, never saw that, sorry!

0 Ratings
mohammedmumtaz
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 23

Would changing the channel of my homehub 3b work? I'm currently on Channel 1

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

If you do an internet search of "FiFa 13 lag" there seems to be a problem with this game. It has effected many users across many internet providers using different devices which would tend to rule out wired/wireless or BT and your connection. It may be that changing channel might help slightly or using a wired connection but it would appear that many other people have tried that with no improvement.

0 Ratings
mohammedmumtaz
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 23

When I contacted EA a couple of months back they said it was a known issue between Ea and BT users. I think it has gotten worse since everyone on BT couldn't sign into the EA servers which I think was around November time or something like that. It says I get 100% packet loss before I have got to the ea servers but I really don't know what to do anymore.

0 Ratings