Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Question re cabinets

Hi,

I'm new to the board, so please bear with me.

I live in a rural area, but about 3 years ago I was fortunate enough to (just about) get a fibre optic connection from my local exchange and cabinet (about 13-15mb).

In late summer, Openreach engineers installed a new cabinet about 100 yards from my door which I was delighted about.

Just before Christmas, I had a phone problem, and my broadband speed dropped dramatically to just 1.3mb, useless.

I waited a week, hoping it was the engineers shifting everything to the new closer cabinet.

Eventually my phone came back, but not the fibre optic broadband.

To cut a long story short, A BT/ Openreach engineer called and after tests discovered that my phoneline was connected to the new closer Cabinet 19, but my fibre was still at the older and further away cabinet 4!  This didnt explain the severe drop in performance, but that is by the by now, as the struggle is now on to get to the bottom of why I am not connected for FO to the new cabinet.  BTW, the cabinet has been fibre enabled and open for business for several weeks now.

Is this something that has happened before? as I am just this morning, on my THIRD engineer visit. All they do is check the line and tell me what I already know (ie above!). They then palm me off back to my internet provider, who in turn apologise and say they will get an engineer to call!   aaaaargh!!

I cannot seem to get anyone to accept responsibility for the obvious issue and actually address the cabinet connections.  My bb provider just book another engineer, promising that they have updated openreach with the issue.  When the engineer calls they have no details other than "I believe you have a broadband problem boss!"

terrible!

As you can guess I am extremely frustrated.  I blame the bb provider only for poor communication between me and the engineers.  But I am fairly sure the issue lies with BT/ Openreach for messing up to begin with, and I am wading through treacle trying to get to the bottom of it.

PS.  This is not a case of distance from cabinet or anything.  I have a friend half a mile further down the road.  He is now connected to the new cabinet and is getting 70meg connection.

Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 16

Re: Question re cabinets

Is your friend with BT Infinity?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

I dont know.

The problem is, even though the cabinet is enabled, because this broadband is running from the older cabinet, when all the provider websites are contacted, they show no fibre available in this area!

There is a poster on the box saying fibre now available and direction to BT.com.

I feel Im stuck between a rock and a hard place.

DO Openreach notify broabband suppliers (as their customers) when they install new cabinets, or do the broadband providers (Sky BT Talktalk etc) have to instruct connection to the new cabinet when it goes live?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 16

Which exchange?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Are you a BTInfinity customer or are you with another ISP?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

its the Crumlin Exchange in N Ireland.

The connection up to a few weeks ago was to Cabinet 4 (giving 15mb fibre as I was a good bit away)

The new cabinet 19 is fibre enabled and open for business.  This is where the landline has been moved to as its just 100 yards away.  But the fibre connection is still at the old cab 4.  Engineer who last called says the drop in speed is because the signal must travel even further due to the phone connection at a different cabinet.  He also advised it was up to the broadband provider to instruct openreach to activate the new cabinet for their customers?  I would have presumed as the cabinet rollout goes on, they would advise the broadband providers that it was available and existing customers would move to it automattically if closer to the residential property and a better service ie speed was available.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 16

I doubt the telephone is connected to one cab and the fibre to another - it just doesn't work like that.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

you are only moved to the fibre cabinet when you order fibre (infinity) service not automatically also your landline remains at the old cabinet and the fibre cabinet is linked back to it
also you were told incorrect information it is Openreach who tell the ISP's when a cabinet is available to provide service you are not moved to a nearer cabinet
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

That is exactly what is happening.  and that was confirmed by two openreach engineers.

I was flabbergasted myself but that is the situation.

My phone is connected to a fibre enable spanking new box a stones throw from my house I habe confirmed that via the online checker. yet every line check I do with all the providers who operate from my local exchange are showing no fibre for my address. To top it all, because the phone line was moved to the new cab, what meage fibre service I did get has not fallen to 1.5mb

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

It appears you are not a BT ISP customer. This is a BT residential customer to customer forum. It is has nothing to do with Openreach. You will need to contact your own ISP to see if they can give you any information regarding whether or not you can be connected to the new cabinet if indeed that is possible.

According to Openreach you can not be moved to a different cabinet.

There is another cabinet nearby that is already accepting orders, can I get fibre broadband from there instead?

No, the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. There are no interconnections that could be used to move a line from one cabinet to another.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/faq/

0 Ratings