cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moosic
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Questions about New BT Fibre Broadband area

Hello, I'm not sure if I have posted this in the right place but I hope someone could help.

I would like to find out about the possible purchase of infinity fibre broadband but slightly worried about the actual speeds I will recieve as I will be working from home. Ideally I need 10mb up and at least 30mb down. I have found there is a new cabinet close to my property which has not gone live. I live in Malvern but I can't seem to find the info if I would be connected to this box or somewhere else.

I have done a search on the sam knows website with my postcode - WR142DF (Wedderburn Road) this website states my exchange is MALVERN (WMMAL) and the location is near Great Malvern Station, around a mile and half away. Probably longer distance as it would not be in a straight line. Also I know that this would involve not having full fibre cable, it would still be using copper cable for a long run to that cabinet.

What confuses me however is that I have also looked on the superfast broadband worcestershire website and there is this other BT green box which is actually nearer to me on Bellers Lane (Malvern 20) around 100-200 metres away. The Earliest Expected 'GO LIVE' Date according to that website is sometime in April/May. I have attached photos of the box close to my house but I am unsure what this new box will do.

It confuses me as I want super fast fibre broadband and I know the distances and a mix of the copper cable to the fibre play a deciding factor in what speeds I'm capable of receiving.

Could anyone answer the following:

1. Would I be connected to the Great Malvern exchange further away or would I be connected to the Bellars Lane once live?

2. I assume BT is connecting this the fibre network with these new boxes, ie fibre cables in ground connecting up these new boxes, such as Bellars lane so it is easier to provide the speeds required. Would that be correct in saying so?

3. Obviously FTTP and FTTC are two completely separate things, if the Bellers lane was connected to fibre then surely with my property around 200ft away that I could simply have fibre connected to the premise with no extra charge/cost?

4. Will I actually get the speeds I require?

I could be wrong on the above as i'm no expert so hopefully someone could get me up to speed on what I could actually achieve here. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

3.jpg
2.jpg
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Questions about New BT Fibre Broadband area

Welcome to this customer to customer forum @moosic

Are you a current BT Retail customer?

Its Openreach that provide the external network, not BT Retail.

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 12

@moosic

Welcome to the BT Consumer forum.

As Keith has said, BT Consumer is just an ISP and not the network infrastructure provider - that would be Openreach.

I will answer your questions in the numbered order you has posted them.

1. Would I be connected to the Great Malvern exchange further away or would I be connected to the Bellars Lane once live?

In terms of FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet), the echanges are irrelivatnt as they just building where all the fibre and copper cables within an exchange area end up to connect to a wider network for your ISP or Wholesaler.
What matters is your PCP cabinet and it's Fibre DSLAM twin cabinet (where that PCP has been upgraded to allow a FTTC service).

Your postcode area is serviced by 2 PCPs (Malvern Exchange Cabinet 20 and Malvern Exchange Cabinet 33) both have been upgraded to allow a FTTC fibre service and by the looks of it is accepting orders.

It is unlikely that your copper line will be altered to connect to another cabinet, as speeds seem acceptiable in this instance.

2. I assume BT is connecting this the fibre network with these new boxes, ie fibre cables in ground connecting up these new boxes, such as Bellars lane so it is easier to provide the speeds required. Would that be correct in saying so?

You can get an estimate of what speed you may recieve by using the BT Wholesale Broadband service database: http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/

In your case it will give you 2 VDSLx results (VDSLx is the signal used for FTTC service).

3. Obviously FTTP and FTTC are two completely separate things, if the Bellers lane was connected to fibre then surely with my property around 200ft away that I could simply have fibre connected to the premise with no extra charge/cost?

I'm afraid not, the FTTC cabinet's are not enabled for a service called FTTPoD (Fibre to the Premises on Deman). However even if this was enabled in this would cost you rather a lot - ie. in the £thousands

4. Will I actually get the speeds I require?

Please see Question 2. Though the service levels also depend on what package you choose and the estimates are just that so the actual speed may be slightly different.

Also in regards to your photo, there is a secondary FTTC DSLAM cabinet - this could just be to allow more FTTC connections as the orginal FTTC DSLAM cabinet could be full.
0 Ratings
moosic
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Thank you @Keith_Beddoe and also @jac_95 for the extensive response. Very kind of you both for taking the time to respond. I have checked google maps on the two PCP cabinets and the one closest to me is the Malvern Exchange Cabinet 20 which happens to be Bellars Lane. That is the one in the photos I had taken. Approx 0.1 miles away from my home.

I have used BT Broadband Checker and it states the following for my phone number:

BT.png

Does this mean I will get the 30mb down and 10mb up speeds that I would require?

Also I wanted to find out if this cabinet box is actually "Live" It says accepting orders on the website but when I check on the superfast broadband worcestershire website is states that Malvern 20 on Bellars Lane is sheduled to go live April - May of this year.

Confused & hope you can help!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

You should get 55Mbs down connection speed on Infinity 1, and between 69Mbs and 80Mbs with Infinity 2.

Infinity 1 is up to 10Mbs upload speed, and Infinity 2 would be up to 20Mbs upload speed.

Both are showing as available, so the choice is yours.

0 Ratings
moosic
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe That's good to know.

How exactly did you work that out from the numbers though?

Also will these be guaranteed speeds as my work states I definitely need 10Mb upload speeds and 30Mb down.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Provided your internal wiring is correct, you should get a BT Infinity connection speed  in VDSL range A.

Infinity 1 has a software limit of maximum 55Mbs connection speed and 10Mb max upload speed. In practice the upload  connection speeds is likely to be about 6Mbs on Infinity 1

Upload speed is not guaranteed, but if you want a better chance of a 10Mb upload speed, you would be advised to opt for BT Infinity 2, which has up to 20Mbs upload connection speed.

0 Ratings
moosic
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Thanks for the advice @Keith_Beddoe

I will look into infinity 2.

🙂

0 Ratings
moosic
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

@Keith_Beddoe

Keith, sorry I wanted to ask one more thing.

As there is no guaranteed speeds for infinity, is there no guaranteed upload speed for any other service?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

No

0 Ratings