cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Quick question on ADSL problems and Infinity

I realise that the FTTC product utilises the copper over the last leg from the cabinet.

Last year I had to threaten court action to be let out of an ADSL contract because for 3 months it was unuseable, despite several engineer visits and hours spent (wasted) on the phone with technical support. A brand new phone line was installed by the way.

My concern with a potential move to Infinity is that I might have similar experiences, can anyone allay any fears?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Quick question on ADSL problems and Infinity

is it working ok now?
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Is what working ok now?

I am currently on Virgin Fibre, and looking for other options, eg Infinity. I am not currently using the phone line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 15

the brand new phone line?
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

I have no idea. I'm on Fibre and not using the phone line.

How would I go about testing it? As far as I'm aware its not active.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 15

you said a new line was installed
where does this run from and to?
the only way to test it is to plug something into it do you have a adsl modem or a phone to plug into it? what happens?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Yes last year the line was installed by BT. It was used for 3 months and then I moved back to Virgin Fibre, it hasn't been used since then.

It runs from a phone pole to my roof and then down the house in just by the front door. I'll try a phone in it tonight, but I'm pretty sure it will do nothing.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 15

ok but was it ok for those 3 months
it would be good to get attenuation and snr data from an attached modem assuming adsl is still on the other end just to see if you get sensible figures
it only matters between you and the cabinet its fibre to the exchange from there
do you know where your bt cabinet is?
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 15

Hi

One other thing you could try is to go to the BT.COM website, navigate to the Broadband section and do a speed (availability) check. You could try entering your postcode and house details and it may give a reasonable estimate of what you could get on Infinity. If there is a cabinet close by you could get brilliant speeds even though the ADSL was not good. The bad ADSL may have been due to the physical distance to the exchange.

ptan

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Unfortunately no, it wasn't ok for those 3 months, I had a barely useable phone/adsl connection. Hence my worry about moving to Infinity and experiencing issues with the last leg of copper.

I'm pretty sure my cabinet is at the end of the road, about 150M away, but it doesn't look like one of the fancy upgraded cabinets I've seen a picture of (it doesn't have vent fins for starters), but according to the BT website I should see speeds of up to 76mb/s.

0 Ratings