Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 15

Re: Quick question on ADSL problems and Infinity

@ptan wrote:

Hi

One other thing you could try is to go to the BT.COM website, navigate to the Broadband section and do a speed (availability) check. You could try entering your postcode and house details and it may give a reasonable estimate of what you could get on Infinity. If there is a cabinet close by you could get brilliant speeds even though the ADSL was not good. The bad ADSL may have been due to the physical distance to the exchange.

ptan

Thanks for that - 76mb/s is what I've been estimated. My house is 1.2 miles (straight line) to the exchange, I would have thought that was ok for ADSL?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 15

straight line distance and line routing distance are totally different with infinity you only copper length is from the cabinet to your home
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 15

Hi

Good to see that the estimate shows that you could get close to the maximum. It is a leap of faith, but I would go for it! It really depends on how pleased you are with your current Virgin offering. What speeds are you getting with them?

ptan

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 15

I've had no end of trouble with Virgin since they doubled my 50Mb line, which was the best internet connection I've ever had.

Since February I've had an open case with the network team, that there is an acknowledged fault in my area. This was scheduled back then to be fixed in October (gee, thanks!), and so I'm beginning to look for possible alternatives incase the engineering work due doesn't actually fix my issues.

Issues range from barely useable connection at peak times (eg if my wife is watching something on iPlayer I'm unable to game online, constant and heavy buffering, etc), packet loss at all hours of the day, high latency and pings at most times of the day, disconnections, line unavailability for short-medium (1-4 days) periods.

Its generally just been awful, but because I had no alternative - ADSL was an utter failure at my house - I haven't been able to move. Now Virgin have comeptition in my area, and I am considering the move, but due to my past experience with a BT line, I'm reticent to jump into an 18 month contract.

Which is understandable I think :)?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 15

I fully understand your position. It's kind of like "out of the frying pan and into the fire".

The BT speedchecker is usually slightly conservative. For instance, a friend of mine has just taken up Infinity and his estimate was 65mbit down and 15mbit up. He is actually getting 74mbit down and 17mbit up.

I think he has pure copper all the way to his local cabinet which is some 200-300 metres away.

Your initial ADSL issues could be that your line took a circuitous route back to the exchange - but if your local cabinet is very close, VDSL should be much better.

ptan

0 Ratings