Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveRo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 25

Re: R6400 – AC1750 Netgear Router and YouView box

Go to solution

@john46Thanks for the confirmation. So I'd like to know what modem was used - which only the OP knows. As I said, nobody else has reported that the R6400 works.

If it was one of the original BT modems I could buy one on ebay. But the DM200 is a capable modem, so I'd first try to understand the difference.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 25

Go to solution

I can't see that the modem should be the problem, it should be transparent at that layer. I think I read somewhere that the Netgear routers couldn't bridge both PPPoE and IPoE to the same LAN port (it wouldn't switch between them as required), but I could be wrong.

VLAN101 is used for internet BTW

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 25

Go to solution

Found this on a Netgear forum

The R6400 only supports one VLAN per port.  It's best to turn only use the VLAN on the IPTV port, and dedicate that port to IPTV.  Remember that the router is bridging the IPTV VLAN to your ISP - the ip addresses, etc are being assigned by your ISP, not the router.  So that VLAN isn't part of your home network.

If you need to run the IPTV and home network traffic over a single cable, then you will need a second smartswitch at the router.  Then you could connect ports 1 and 2 to the router smartswitch, aggregate both vlans on a trunk to the second switch, and then separate them in the TP-link.

It would be nice if the router could be configured to do this w/o needing a smart switch at the router location.  It'd be easy for Netgear to do.

0 Ratings
DaveRo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 25

Go to solution

@licquorice"The R6400 only supports one VLAN per port." That thread is about a Portuguese Vodafone IPTV and describes the limitation of the router's 'bridge based on VLAN' facility. The design of the R6xxx modems (and the R7xxx ones too I think) seemed to assume that an IPTV device does not also need NATted internet. That's not true of YouView.

Over the last year or so several routers (R7xxx, R8xxx) seem to have had firmware upgrades for BT YouView. These, I assume, do not use this vlan bridging but I don't know. I had hoped that this applied to the R6400 too.

It's why I asked whether BOTH internet PPPoE and IPTV IPoE are in VLAN 101 - i.e. is it actually possible to separate the two by VLAN ID. (Not that I think that's what's needed for YouView; it needs the equivalent if what other routers call 'IGMP snooping' I think.)

So I don't think the R6400 will work with YouView. But this thread said it does...

0 Ratings
Simon1989
Beginner
Message 15 of 25

Go to solution

Hi DaveRo,

Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond yesterday.

I'm afraid my IT knowledge is not quite up to your level so I will struggle to answer some of those questions. However, I can confirm that my R6400 – AC1750 Netgear Router is working with my BT YouView box (still to this date). I also looked into a modem mode on the BT HomeHub as a remembered my old Virgin Hub having the option but ended up having to buy a standalone modem and went for this one off amazon -

Openreach modem fibre connection broadband

To be honest I can't remember what I did on the router side to get things working. I tend to just fumble through with with trial and improvement until something works. If I remember correctly I did the "snooping" option that somebody had recommended further up but then noticed that the YouView box was still connected via the ethernet port which had previously been directly connected to my old BT Homehub. After i swapped this to go through my powerline adapters to my router everything just started working.

Sorry that my response isn't all that technical but i hope that it offers some reassurance that it does atleast infact work.

I'm happy to continue to respond or inbox you directly if there is anything I can check on at my end that might help. I'm in the process of moving house at the moment so my responses may not be rapid but I will respond to the best of my (limited) ability.

0 Ratings
DaveRo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 25

Go to solution

@Simon1989Thanks for coming back. I'll follow up publicly, if you don't mind, so others can benefit.

I'm encouraged that you're still using it. But I'm also puzzled. On my R6400, with the latest updated software (firmware), it doesn't work. And there us no 'IGMP snooping' option (some other makes of router do have that.). There is however a 'disable IGMP proxying' setting (in advanced, settings, wan setup) - which needs unticking - but nothing about 'snooping'. Here is a screenshot of that page:

http://www.cjoint.com/data/GFhtcvPrvKQ_Screenshot---060617---101100.png

Does yours really have a 'snooping' option or was it the 'proxying' one you used? If so what is the firmware version (it's at the top of every web setup display). It's possible that a firmware version was issued then withdrawn - I've known that.

And can you confirm that you can view the non-freeview channels that come over the internet, such as BT Sport 1? (I think that's included free.) Freeview channels come from your aerial.

Thanks, and good luck with the move. You can PM me if you prefer.

0 Ratings
Simon1989
Beginner
Message 17 of 25

Go to solution

Hi DaveRo,

Apologies, working from memory probably wasn't wise. Yes I have "Disable IGMP Proxying" unticked as well. I'm also on the same firmware version as you. 

I didn't activate sky sports since i don't use it but my on-demand is working.

Thanks,

0 Ratings
DaveRo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 25

Go to solution

@Simon1989Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately my question was not exact enough. I had forgotten about on-demand programmes. Sorry - I'm going to have to get a bit more technical.

There are actually three ways that a YouView box can receive a programme:

1 Freeview - via the aerial. e.g. BBC1

2 A type of streaming TV, called 'multicast IPTV' which is 'broadcast' over the internet to everybody who is subscribed - at the same time.

You select it from the Guide - in my case channel 408 is BT Sport 1.

Paid-for and free subscription channels are of this type, where 'free' means it's included in your BT TV price. The first time you select such a channel it checks whether you are entitled to watch it.  I think BT Sport 1 is will be free to you, but I'm not sure.

3 'On demand' or 'catch-up' programs which are played using 'players and apps' like BBC iPlayer. This is not 'broadcast' to everyone - it's streamed over the internet just to you. It requires an internet connection - which you have.

From what you say I don't think you have tried type 2 - multicast IPTV. My prediction is that if you did it wouldn't work.

If you get the chance to try it, I'd welcome confirmation whether Multicast IPTV like BT Sport 1 works for you.  But I realise that will be tricky if you're moving house! I don't know what other such channels you should get free - I'm with PlusNet not BT.

In the meantime Netgear have given me some beta-test firmware to try. It doesn't work either!

0 Ratings
DaveRo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 25

Go to solution

Netgear have provided me with test R6400 firmware (dated 20170620) which makes makes YouView IPTV work. It is the same solution that they implemented for the R7000. There is an extra field Support British Telecom (BT)IGMP Proxying on the WAN setup page, as seen on the screenshot in this post:

https://community.plus.net/t5/TV/Plusnet-TV-with-Netgear-Nighthawk-R7000-router/m-p/1448008#M3509

I expect this will be included in a future firmware release.

No other unusual configuration is required in the router (eg VLAN, bridging). I'm using a Netgear DM200 modem, configured for VLAN 101 and IPTV.

0 Ratings
Simon1989
Beginner
Message 20 of 25

Go to solution

Hi DaveRo.

Apologies, forgot all about this forum in the chaos of moving house. I realise it's been about a month since i responded last.

I'm not sure I opted in for the Sky Sports since it's not something i'm particularly bothered by. However, when i have tried it it says that i've not got the package so you may well be right in that i'm looking at the wrong sort of connection.

I'm glad that you've managed to get Netgear to provide you with firmware that does work so that there is now a resolution in this forum thread. I'll have to look into getting that as well jsut incase I ever decide to up my BT package on YouView and get IPTV channels. 

0 Ratings