cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coldpenguin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

RE: Troubleshooting BT Fon issues

As the first thread was locked so no responses can be made: Throubleshooting BT FON issues by KerryG

I would like BT to answer how we are meant to perform these troubleshooting actions.

The most sensible setup is to use your SSID when at home, and only BTOpenzone when away from home.

This means, that those having the problems, are not the owners of the routers.

So the solution given, is frankly a waste of time. Can we have details please of an official way of recording the router information (i.e. is the MAC enough for BT?) and reporting it so that it can be fixed.

"Solution: The Home Hub needs to be reset. Find details of how to reset the hub here The hub will turn itself off & back on & the BT FON & BT Openzone firmware will be removed. At this point you will need to opt out and then back in to Fon.  This can be done via www.btfon.com. "

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
coldpenguin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: RE: Troubleshooting BT Fon issues

I didn't think BT would answer.

Don't even know why I bothered to check.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

have you tried recently to connect to BTFON.  Only reason I ask it that up until about 5/7 days ago I could never seem to connect to BTFON but now all of a sudden I can connect without a problem and to numerous hubs.  Something has been changed as connection is now not a problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

imjolly is right , I was another who had troubles connecting to a FON. In the end basically gave up. Then about a week ago tried again and can now connect using the PC and my HTC Desire HD.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 12

I'll add my two pennorth to this as well. 

I've been trying for over three years, with four different smartphones [HTC 620, Touch 2, HD2 and Desire] to connect to BTOZ and Fon without success until the last couple of weeks. 

Seemingly no problems now, so something has happened, and there aint any pixie's at the bottom

of my garden Smiley Very Happy

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

[slightly annoyed] - So, if it's now fixedSmiley Surprised, which it sounds like it isSmiley Happy, where's the forum announcement.......?

and what has happened?

and has this caused any known wireless issues in the home?

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
coldpenguin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

@DS wrote:

[slightly annoyed] - So, if it's now fixedSmiley Surprised, which it sounds like it isSmiley Happy, where's the forum announcement.......?

There will be no announcement, as it would be like admitting there was a problem in the first place.

Checked my BT account this evening, under the 'My Faults' section, I still have a case logged in 2006 as outstanding/open

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

@coldpenguin wrote:
There will be no announcement, as it would be like admitting there was a problem in the first place.

Oh they've admitted it alright, I've got the emails to prove itSmiley Wink

(though they're private, between me and ? - I might just print them ALL off and frame them, as a nice reminder of the time I've wasted on this and other issues)

So, BT, where's the announcement?

(sorry if this seems like I'm letting off a little steam, but I'm currently not a happy bunny in camp BT).

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

@DS, this is espionage: Jason Bourne was never caught: remember Smiley Wink

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
coldpenguin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

@imjolly wrote:

have you tried recently to connect to BTFON.  Only reason I ask it that up until about 5/7 days ago I could never seem to connect to BTFON but now all of a sudden I can connect without a problem and to numerous hubs.  Something has been changed as connection is now not a problem

Ok, so at the weekend, I decide to test and record.

I was away from home, thus needed to use btopenzone service to connect to the internet, rather than my own hub.

On 16 occasions I connected to a hub (different hubs given the positions I was in, moved around quite a bit), on each of these occasions I managed to move so that I had more than 3 out of 5 bars for signal strength showing in Windows 7, should be more than enough.

On 2 out of the 16, I managed to load the btopenzone proxy page, so that I could enter my details.

On the other 14 occasions I could not access anything. On 13 of those 14 I had the IP addresses set 'correctly' (i.e. a 10. class A address and gateway, with a 192.168.22/23 DNS entry).

On 1 occasion I did not get an IP address immediately. I used /renew to get a 'valid' IP address.

So that is a 12.5% success rate.

Not what I would call fixed.

0 Ratings