cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Radio Frequency Interference to Home Hub 5

I am a licenced Radio Amateur, but since I have moved to infinity with the new hub 5, when I transmit in the HF Bands, my router picks this up and slows down then loses connection. I was wondering if there is an RF Filter that I can put on the incoming line to stop the RF getting into the Hub.

The easiest way to solve this would be for the incoming cable to be re-routed on the outside of the house, to take it away from the transmitting antennnas. But I cannot seem to be able to convey that this is what I want done to the Customer Helpline.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Radio Frequency Interference to Home Hub 5

Unfortunately, you are not going to be able to do anything about this, as the difference in power levels between a HF transmitter, and the VDSL broadband signal is so great, that interference is inevitable.

VDSL is more susceptible to HF interference as it uses a higher frequency range than ADSL2+, whose upper limit is about 2MHz as only the 160M band tends to affect it.

The internal circuitry of the HH5 is not screened, so HF pickup is very likely. Re-routing any external cable is not going to help, as interference is going to be introduced by the mains wiring as well.

You are most likely affecting any neighbours VDSL connection as well, so expect a knock on the door Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Perhaps a Zyxel 8324/8924 would help, it has a common mode filter as close to the modem electronics as possible.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer click the ratings star on the left-hand side. If the reply answers your question, mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

It is affected even at Very Low Power, 5 watts from transmitter (about 3 watts out of aerial). If the home hub is not sufficiently immune to the signal, that is not my fault. I have checked my signal and it is clean. If the fault lies with the home hub, I might buy a better quality router to use, I have asked other Amateurs and it seems to be a problem with the HH.

I remember a few years ago their was a few makes of television that did not have sufficient immunity, but after a lot of pressure they were eventually manufacered to a higher standard.

It seems to be that everything is built down to the lowest denominator.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I also am a radio amatuer and have problems with Home Hub 5.

I used to be with Sky and never had any problems. As soon as I moved to BT and got the Home Hub 5, all HF and 6m frequency bands were obliterated with S9 of wideband noise. Of course it took m e a while to figure out the problem, but as soon as I turned off the power to the Home Hub the interference disappeared.

Speaking recently with some EMC experts in the RSGB, it is highly likely that the problem is with the wall wart power supply.

Of course yours is a different problem, which I won't suffer from as my Home Hub has to be off if I am using my Ham equipment.

Anyway only 3 more months and I can ditch BT and go back to Sky.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@bitry

You can try replacing the power unit with a different type of the same voltage. There are still a few "linear" power supply units around, and these do not generate interference. You could build your own "linear" power supply using standard components, and a voltage regulator IC with a heat sink.

You could always try a different modem/router.

Most ISPs change their routers at regular intervals, so there is no guarantee that they will not cause interference.

Moving to VDSL from ADSL, will make the whole setup more likely to cause interference, and also be affected by it, due to the wider RF bandwidth used.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd post my experience. I am also a full call amateur (MI0) and had problems with various routers in the past. I had an old type Netgear on ADSL via Sky which had no problems at all but once I moved to BT Infinity I had the VDSL Openreach router and a BT Hub 3 and every time I keyed even 10 watts it caused the line to disconnect and reconnect. I then bought a Draytek 2750n router (not cheap back then) and it was fine while using 100w but if I was to go to 200w it would do the same thing and found out it was direct pickup via the front end of the router. Eventually I bought the latest BT Smart Hub as a ham friend of mine was using one and said he had no problem at all and low and behold it was great, 400w and no re-syncing issues what so ever, well great as regards to ham radio but not so great for internet browsing, since changing to the BT Smart Hub my browsing upon opening up Firefox has slowed down, using Kodi is hit and miss and the list goes on, it's like the router is checking everything before allowing it to open which I can't stand, over all it’s just a sluggish router and as like most hams I use things like QRZ, callsign lookup and logging via TCP etc it’s just a bit temperamental, not to mention not being able to log the BT Smart Hub directly to a VPN so that all traffic is routed through my VPN server of choice. I know it's the router because if I log into my VPN via the PC my internet flies at warp factor 9.9....lol

My quest continues for the ideal router, I just don’t want to pay big money for a router like the Draytek and end up having the same disconnection issues, for now I have no problems whilst using my ham radio gear but suffer some on the internet side so all in all a bit of a compromise, if ISP’s were to just let traffic alone it would be an ideal world but we know that never gonna happen…lol. For now I’ll settle for what I’ve got until someone comes up with a good 3rd party router to use with amateur radio.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

Just to add in my experience, I have a Draytek 2860AC one of their flagship routers on a 60mb VDSL service, not BT as we don't have BT or Sky Broadband in the Channel Islands. Not suffering from any noise issues but my broadband will disconnect on first key up on 40m or lower (80m etc). Usually only once and then reconnects at a slower line rate and holds for a while. Will occur again after a period of no activity.

I'm suspicious of my old poor quality line cable inside my house so intend to replace this with double screened Cat5e with toroids on each end. Remains to be seen whether it will help!

I'm fed from overhead lines so I guess that's also not helping.

Jason.

0 Ratings