cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astroman
Contributor
Message 1 of 64

Random disconnections

Since the beginning of December I have been getting what seem to be random disconnections with my broadband. Pages won't load for 30 seconds or so then it all goes back to normal.

Some times it will happen only a couple of times a day and other times (like tonight) it is every ten minutes. I have a HH3 and modem and all the lights stay on as they should be, just pages wont load, at the bottom of my browser sometimes I get the message "cannot resolve host"

I got on to @btcare via twitter and they have been brilliant, sent me a new HH3 and arranged for an engineer visit who found a line fault, fixed it but half an hour after he went, the disconnections started again.

It affects my PC (wired) 2 laptops and mobile phones (wireless) and also my Youview box (the internet channels will freeze, then come back about 20 seconds later)

I have fitted a new cable from the modem to the phone socket to no avail.

@btcare are phoning me back Saturday to see if the disconnections have stopped.

Most of the time it is just a small irritation and can be lived with, but times like tonight it is a royal pain in the bum!

does anyone here have any ideas as to what could be causing this problem?

0 Ratings
63 REPLIES 63
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 64

Re: Random disconnections

Your not the only one astroman.

My BT Infifnity has been disconnecting for a few minutes at a time every day for the last couple weeks. I wish I knew what causes it. I also have a Home Hub 3. When it occurs and I get the red flashing indicator I click on "continue" to cure the problem and wait a short time. It then tells me my broadband user name has been changed and reconnects.

What my user name changes to I have no idea. 

If it continues I will have to chase up BT Care too. 

0 Ratings
astroman
Contributor
Message 3 of 64

I dont get any red light, all the lights stay blue, it's just the internet becomes unusable for 20-30 seconds. 

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 64

The first thing I get is a screen with the flashing red light in the centre and saying Broadband not available or some other wording. I look at the hub and that has the red flashing light too.

What annoys me is you can be in the middle of something and all of a sudden your Broadband switches off for a few minutes.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 64

@astroman that sounds like DNS problems. Please try changing the DNS servers used by one of your devices to see if that fixes it.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
2ndmouse
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 64

This sounds very much like the problem I've been experiencing, i.e. partial or complete packet loss. Can last 10-20 secs, but can also last 5+ mins. Check out my thread here, my symptoms are detailed there. You could try pingplotter to check this out.

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ
I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left

0 Ratings
astroman
Contributor
Message 7 of 64

Running pingplotter I am getting various amounts of packet loss to this one particular IP address 209.85.252.186

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 64

Ive been getting random disconnections since infinity was installed. Wife complains, kids complain. Ofcourse since it doesn't usually last long by the time I phone customer services (who are useless) they think there is no problem. Cant wait until my contract is up and I can get back to a proper broadband supplier. No signal even when all three lights are blue on the router.

I would strongly advise anyone contemplating getting bt infinity to reconsider. Worst broadband I have ever had. Great when it works just doesn't work for long enough periods without dropouts. At least 10-20 a day.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 64

@damienhealey wrote:

Ive been getting random disconnections since infinity was installed. Wife complains, kids complain. Ofcourse since it doesn't usually last long by the time I phone customer services (who are useless) they think there is no problem. Cant wait until my contract is up and I can get back to a proper broadband supplier. No signal even when all three lights are blue on the router.

I would strongly advise anyone contemplating getting bt infinity to reconsider. Worst broadband I have ever had. Great when it works just doesn't work for long enough periods without dropouts. At least 10-20 a day.

What if anything have you tried to remedy this? Are you connecting by wireless or by Ethernet.  Do you want suggestions of what to try or are you just wanting to pass on your experience?

0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 10 of 64

I have been having the same type of problem and have identified 'my' smoking gun.

I noted the time that the issue happened and then looked at the Event log.

I post here 2 of the IN: BLOCK to illustrate - please note the IP's involved.

The duration of the 'attack' lasts about 5min

18:40:41, 03 Jan.    IN: BLOCK [16] Remote administration (TCP 117.79.145.99:6676->109.150.164.188:443 on ppp1)

19:24:19, 03 Jan.    IN: BLOCK [16] Remote administration (TCP 61.136.208.23:49931->109.150.164.188:22 on ppp1)

I am cheesed off with all this -

David

0 Ratings