cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spenty
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 64

Re: Random disconnections

Happening to me 2-3 times a day now which is incredibly annoying, what a joke this service has became.

0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 12 of 64

Has anyone else checked their HH event log & looked at the timing.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 13 of 64

Timing of what?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 14 of 64

OK
My message #10 did not really go into great detail, obviously I assumed too much (getting old)

I started by manually noting when my line started to go down & when it came back up. Simple.
I then looked at the HH3 event log & found exact matches starting with the 'IN: BLOCK data'
This cannot be a coincidence.

The first IP string is China & the second is BT

It is called Remote administration.

Now, why is Remote administration bringing my HH down.

0 Ratings
funkingandspelunking
Contributor
Message 15 of 64

Do you see a "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" around the time of the disconnections? I've seen people mention this SO many times in relation to the broadband disconnecting, but yet to see anyone confirm what it is or what's causing it.

HH5 is a bit rubbish, in my short experience. Gone from flawless broadband with a well known competitor that stayed up almost 24/7, to one with anywhere between 5 and 20 disconnections per day.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 16 of 64

Can't see what else remote administration would do other than manage bandwidth TBH
--
0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 17 of 64

No PPP LCP send etc

Just

19:31:39, 03 Jan.    (515149.520000) Wire Lan Port 1 up
19:24:19, 03 Jan.    IN: BLOCK [16] Remote administration (TCP 61.136.208.23:49931->109.150.164.188:22 on ppp1)

As you can see this one lasted some time & I have no idea what remote admin is doing either. I don't actually care as long as it does its job properly, but if it brings my HH3 down then it is not!

I have monitored this for 4 days

Why China?

0 Ratings
questor
Contributor
Message 18 of 64

I read these log messages as being an attempt at remote administration that is being blocked and given 61.136.208.23 appears to resolve to China it probably should be blocked unless BT are outsourcing network management.

It seems to me the hubs will either run more slowly during a denial of service attack or may fall over completely.

I have not had any issues with r6300v2 - it no longer reports DOS attacks so either it has been assimilated or potential remote administrators have lost interest.

I see a lot more of these messages on the HH5 so I suspect that a BT hub is more expected on a BT subnet. If my thesis is correct a non-BT hub with an Openreach modem might improve matters.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 19 of 64

IP addresses really aren't country-specific. The IP address may have been allocated in China but since the IP address pool ran out, there has been a thriving market in buying and selling IP addresses so their location is mostly irrelevant.
--
0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 20 of 64

Thanks folks.

I was suspicioius (re: attack) but did not want to start a conspiricy theory thread.

On the other hand if the BT HHx does fall over due to these attemps then BT should be doing something about it.

Otherwise we are faced with a potential situation whereby an attacker located somewhere can bring down BTs hubs.

That is serious, after all there has been enough talk about 'Huawei' hasn't there.

Perhaps an official post is being readiedSmiley Frustrated

0 Ratings