Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahluka
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Random disconnects & terrible noise margin

Go to solution

For the last week our router (a Home Hub 2) has been randomly losing the broadband connection -- the BB light flashes orange for 30-60 seconds then returns to blue. It seems totally random; it can be fine for hours (but rarely longer than 24) then it'll drop for less than a minute.

Here are my current ADSL stats:

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:40:49
Downstream12,556 Kbps
Upstream1,184 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)2.2 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)31.5 dB / 15.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)55
Loss of Signal (Local)8
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)1992510 / 4294967264
CRC Errors (Down/Up)155 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)2048

I talked to BT support online Sunday evening, and he agreed that the terrible noise margin is, well, terrible. He had a poke around and eventually increased the bandwidth at the exchange, which seems to have made a difference. Yesterday I didn't notice any disconnects, although I couldn't keep much of an eye on it, but it's started dropping again today. Only 3 times (so far), compared to the usual 7 or 8.

Every time I try http://speedtester.bt.com/ it fails on the upload test (the second one?). I just tried it again and it said "The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider." Fun times.

I did a quiet line test, and it's quiet as far as I can tell -- there was only a very faint hum, is that out of the ordinary?

I really don't know enough about this stuff, obviously, but from the little bit of research I've done, hardly any of the numbers in my ADSL stats are good. I know FEC errors are somewhat normal, but surely they shouldn't be that high?

All of our PCs are wired to the router. (The wireless has never been usable, but that's a story for another time.) I've replaced the microfilter with a spare and it hasn't made a difference.

I'm hoping it's just a temporary line or exchange problem, but would've expected that to be reported on the local service issues page.

Any takers?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Random disconnects & terrible noise margin

Go to solution
hi the noise margin is now quite normal as BT have trialled a lower noise margin of 3 dB to get the best possible speed from the connection as to the high FEC's that is a hub reporting error in the firmware
0 Ratings
ahluka
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Hi,

How long have they been doing this? I've only just started having the problem, and the support member I talked to didn't mention it -- like I said, he said < 3 dB is bad.

I read somewhere else on the forums that an update rolled out recently, comparing the version number on my router it appears I haven't had it yet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
it has been around almost a year now if that was the help line that told you that then that does not surprise me at all

as to the hub update that only applies to the version B of the Home Hub 3 no other hub is involved
0 Ratings
ahluka
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Haha. I see, so do you have any idea what the problem is?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
ahluka
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Okay I've tried plugging into the master socket for the day and it seems to have made no difference. The connection was fine for a few hours then it dropped about 20 minutes ago... here we go again.

Yes I tried a quiet line test and all's quiet on the western front.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
are you connected to the test socket
0 Ratings
ahluka
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Sorry that's what I meant, not master socket.

0 Ratings
ahluka
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Just went down again, 3 times in a row. It was like 2 "mini" disconnects that barely lasted 20 seconds, then one that lasted a minute or so.

I've read elsewhere on the forums that the mods can raise my noise margin, I just have to ask for contact details. This is me asking.

0 Ratings