cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ESKIBOY
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Random flickering black lines

I've recently noticed on the Non HD broadband channels that i randomly get these flickering black lines on the screen. Freeview channels are fine and the broadband HD channels are fine.

I have also recorded one of the problem channels and played it back to see if it happens at the same spot everytime, but it seems to only happen at random or when there are bright colours on the screen.

Things i've tried

Different HDMI cable

Factory reset my youview box

Different TV

I'm not getting any internet problems/drop outs

Currently have the 4k UHD box and is wired up using ethernet cable supplied. I've only had the box/BT TV for one week now.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Phatashko
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: Random flickering black lines

Just got my BT TV last week with the full sky movies and sports package. Dissapointed that the movies are only in SD but more annoyed about these black flickering lines on the screen like above, seems to be only on the movies channels which is really putting me off.

0 Ratings
ESKIBOY
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I have noticed if I set the settings to 1080i I'm the picture and sound menu them the lines stopped. Sounds like a common problem with these boxes as I found other people on this forum talking about it and that's where I learned about changing the setting
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

1080i (Interlaced) requires much less digital bandwidth than 1080p (progressive).

Interlacing generates the image over two successive frames, whereas progressive generates the image in one frame so the bit rate is much higher, and artifacts are likely show on the screen if errors occur.

You may be able to use 1080p if you have a very short high quality HDMI cable, and a TV which is capable of operating in that mode.

In practice you would find it quite difficult to see the difference between 1080i and 1080p.

See http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E366BB70207394A186257C200067FEB8

1080p = 475MHz

1080i  =  237MHz

0 Ratings
Phatashko
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thanks guys thats done the trick for the time being cant see the lines appearing any more. I already had to downgrade the uhd picture to get the picture through my surround sound shame it wont work through my automatic hdmi spliter that takes all my other inputs. An alternative input on the surround sound kit will do for now untill i work around that.
0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 6 of 6

I set my UHD box to 1080i when i first got BTTV since it seemed to offer the best picture quality.

0 Ratings